Combat Lower Back and Joint Pain with Pain-Free Gardening Tips, Physical Therapy Tools
Omron electroTHERAPY Solution Enables Pain-Free Gardening, Chance to Win Garden Makeover
LAKE FOREST, Ill., April 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With April's National Garden Month underway, your planting plans may be ready, but your body is likely unprepared for the bending, kneeling, and lifting that go along with it. Savvy gardeners have a secret weapon – Omron's electroTHERAPY Pain Relief unit, which keeps your green thumb from tiring by eliminating gardening aches and pains with proven physical therapy technology.
Omron's over-the-counter electroTHERAPY Pain Relief unit can relieve lower back pain, as well as muscle and joint pain that are all too familiar for gardeners and non-gardeners alike. Lower back pain is the number one reported pain symptom in the country. This 100 percent drug-free, non-prescription therapy is a smart option for tending to aches and pains inflamed by gardening.
"As an avid gardener with two knee replacements, I'm always in search of alternative tactics to combat joint pain," said Melinda Myers, a professional horticulturist with an eye for innovative solutions. "Electrotherapy treatment lets me garden without needing to stop due to the joint pain that often comes with kneeling, reaching, and lifting."
Myers doesn't rely solely on electrotherapy to keep her gardening pain free. To reduce lower back and joint pain, she suggests following these simple pain-free gardening tips:
- Vertical Gardening – Garden up! Grow plants on a blank wall, fence, or post. Height makes gardening easier and creates visual interest.
- Choose Your Tools Wisely – Look for ergonomic grips, long-handled tools, and ratcheted tools to keep your posture upright, give you more power and make the grip easier.
- Leverage Heavy Loads – Split up large loads into smaller increments. Use everyday items like a wagon or winter sled to help you move supplies around the garden with ease.
- Take Breaks – Work five minute breaks in your gardening schedule to lower your likelihood of injury. Try easy back stretches from the waist and do not garden for longer than 20-30 minutes straight. Stay attentive to weather temperatures and flexibility as well – do additional stretches or warm-ups if you feel stiff or cold.
- Keep Tools Sharp – Get your local store to file trowels, shears, and even shovels. Dulled tools mean more strain – make sure your tools are well-kept to cut down on unnecessary added effort.
If you follow all of these tips and still wind up with back pain or you already have joint or low back pain we recommend a few tips to alleviate acute pain:
- Heat and/or ice treatments
- Exercise, stretching techniques
- Over-the-counter therapies such as Omron's drug-free electroTHERAPY Pain Relief unit. Begin managing pain in about 15 minutes.
- Always consult your healthcare provider (physical therapist, chiropractor, or physician) about your pain and therapy, especially if after four weeks your acute pain has not lessened.
Omron's electroTHERAPY Pain Relief unit is the first product of its kind to be available nationally at major retail chains. It is an over-the-counter product which uses Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) technology to deliver gentle, massage-like pulses for on-the-spot pain relief. An effective drug-free pain relief method, electrotherapy is commonly used by physical therapists to treat muscle and joint pain.
"Electrotherapy has proven effective in physical therapy for more than 30 years," said Dr. Jeffrey Mannheimer, a physical therapist on the forefront of electrotherapy research. "The effect of such therapy is immediate, repeatable, and drug-free, making it an alternative choice for chronic and acute pain relief."
The Omron electroTHERAPY unit is sold across major drug retailers such as CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid and other retailers in the pain products area as well as online retailers such as Amazon.com, Drugstore.com, Walgreens.com and store.omronhealthcare.com.
The Great Garden Makeover Sweepstakes
Omron is focused on helping people reach their lifestyle goals, which is why they have partnered with gardening expert and author Melinda Myers to host Omron's Great Garden Makeover Sweepstakes. Visit www.omronpainrelief.com/sweeps before June 22 and enter the sweepstakes for a chance to win $5,000 towards your dream garden, plus a one-hour free garden consultation with Melinda. Additional prize packs will be given away weekly which include Omron's electroTHERAPY Pain Relief unit, replacement pads and Melinda's Garden Moments DVD.
For additional tips on gardening and managing lower back and joint pain, visit www.omronpainrelief.com.
About Omron Healthcare, Inc.
Omron Healthcare, Inc., is a leading manufacturer and distributor of personal wellness products. Omron's market-leading products include home blood pressure monitors, fitness solutions, such as pedometers and heart rate monitors, and electrotherapy devices. In our connected and digital world, consumers want to accurately monitor and track certain aspects of their day-to-day health on- and offline. Omron products provide accurate health information that support positive lifestyle changes and can be shared with friends, family and health professionals. For more information, visit www.omronhealthcare.com.
SOURCE Omron Healthcare, Inc.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.