CommVault Intelligent Archive Solution Makes Content Retention, Compliance And Cloud Storage More Affordable
- New Simpana® Reference Copy software integrates data management and content-based retention to lower the cost, complexity and risk of storing business and compliance data
- Reduces long-term storage costs and capacity needs by up to 70 percent or more
- Improves records management, eDiscovery and corporate governance by automatically organizing, classifying and storing only necessary data and speeding search and access
- Enables efficient online archives with seamless cloud platform integration, including new support for AWS Glacier, to make cloud storage practical and affordable
OCEANPORT, N.J., Oct. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) today announced a new content-based retention solution that enables enterprises to keep only data that is important to the business and move beyond the costly and commonly used "keep everything" approach to data management. Leveraging Simpana® Reference Copy can reduce long-term storage costs and capacity needs by up to 70 percent when compared to traditional approaches to data retention. Organizations can make sense of their content, streamline discovery to improve insight and make smart decisions about how they want to retain it, while at the same time making cloud storage from providers such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft and Rackspace a practical reality through the industry's most advanced data classification and retention capabilities.
Legacy solutions that focus on backup or force customers to archive irrelevant data, without compliance, evidentiary or other organizational value, increase overall costs and risk and inhibit cloud adoption. Traditional archive platforms are cumbersome and make it difficult to secure, find and recover siloed data across the enterprise. Long-term data retention approaches need to be automated, flexible and granular. According to Gartner, most organizations (62%) still do not utilize any specific tools to help them understand and to make decisions on the retention/management of their unstructured data. Archiving is starting to better penetrate organizations, but this is often just moving the problem from primary storage to a less expensive archive.
CommVault® Intelligent Archive Addresses Information Governance, Cost Concerns
Simpana Reference Copy addresses these emerging requirements by leveraging the intelligence and efficiency of Simpana ContentStore to collect, organize, index and classify data based on user-defined policies. Once data is centralized in the ContentStore, CommVault's hardware agnostic virtual repository, Reference Copy provides automated, granular policies for tiering, retention and classification that allow business to keep only the most relevant files and emails. Enabling cost-effective online long-term storage, centralized search and self-service access for analytics and eDiscovery make Simpana software ideal for highly regulated or litigious industries that must retain data for seven or more years, such as healthcare, government and education.
Accelerating the Journey to the Cloud
Reference Copy's ability to reduce the overall cost for online capacity and data transfers makes cloud storage more affordable, secure and easier to manage. Business-defined policies identify data to be retained and reduce the amount of data being moved into and out of the cloud. When used in tandem with Simpana 10's content indexing and search capabilities, which provide detailed previews, Reference Copy can help provide access to archived content without needing to access the cloud. The efficiencies of Reference Copy combined with Simpana software's native connectivity with more than a dozen cloud platforms, including integration for AWS Glacier, can speed the adoption of cloud storage for all enterprises.
Optimizing Data Retention with CommVault Consulting Services
CommVault Consulting Services helps clients architect management environments and deploy long-term retention, compliance and cloud strategies to optimize their data and information management environments. Two of the newest archiving consulting services now available from CommVault include:
- Data Classification & Archive Policy Design – Synthesizes legacy archive strategies with current business, compliance, records retention, and eDiscovery requirements to help transform a client's traditional operation into an intelligent archive.
- Electronic Records Management Design – Provides assessment to assist with designing and recommending technical and business requirements for records retention management and potential eDiscovery actions.
Reference Copy is immediately available as part of the Simpana 10 software platform from CommVault or its global PartnerAdvantage reseller network of channel, OEM, managed service provider and distributor partners. You can learn more about CommVault's Intelligent Archive solutions during our virtual event on November 21, 2013.
- David West, senior vice president, worldwide marketing and business development, CommVault: "Storage costs today are out of control due to data growth, much of which is caused by legacy solutions and outdated 'keep everything' approaches to information management. The key to efficient data management and intelligent archiving is to eliminate irrelevant data, keeping only what you need to ensure information transparency, accountability and defensibility across the business. By leveraging Simpana Reference Copy and the ContentStore, users can not only ensure that data is classified, organized and retained in a secure way, but they can control and use Big Data for a competitive advantage and bring value to their organizations.
- Eric Sheppard, Research Director, Storage Software at IDC: "Businesses increasingly struggle not only with exponential data growth but also with how, what, and where to keep that data. IT teams strive to provide value back to their organization, yet users continue to drown in a deluge of data. CommVault's new content-based retention feature has policy-driven rules that allow the flexibility to design and customize rules around the data they want to retain and how they want to retain it. This is particularly useful in highly regulated work environments where managing risk is critical to the business operation."
New @CommVault #Simpana content-based retention feature can cut long-term costs/capacity needs up to 70 percent http://bit.ly/16l9J50
- More on CommVault Intelligent Archive Capabilities
- IDC Product Flash: CommVault Simpana Archive - An Intelligent Archive
- CommVault® Simpana® 10 Software
- Blog: What's Compliance Costing You?
- Blog: New CommVault Integrations with Amazon Web Services
- More CommVault news
- Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds
- Follow CommVault on Twitter
- Follow CommVault on Facebook
- Join CommVault on LinkedIn
- Watch CommVault videos on YouTube
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2013 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, IntelliSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, Simpana OnePass, CommVault Edge, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
 Results may vary.
 Gartner Inc., Use These Unstructured Data Management Best Practices to Manage Based on the Time Value of Data, Alan Dayley, Sheila Childs, November 16, 2012