CommVault Simpana 10 Delivers An Exponential Leap In Data And Information Management With Massively Scalable, Open Software Platform
- Doubles backup and archive performance and scale to manage data growth, regulatory requirements and business demands
- Cuts storage-related costs by up to 50 percent, reduces administrative overhead by up to 80 percent and lower total support costs by up to 35 percent
- Opens access to Simpana-managed data from anywhere, enabling users to increase value from corporate information and improve productivity
- Accelerates delivery of managed services and cloud computing with new automation for large-scale data centers
CommVault is enabling enterprises to take an exponential leap forward in protecting and managing their data at scale, creating value from information and improving access with the latest release of the company's singular data management software platform, Simpana® 10. Simpana 10 extends CommVault's data protection and archiving leadership to deliver secure, self-service access from mobile devices, speed the adoption of cloud computing and extract value from Big Data. For the first time, employees across the enterprise – not just IT managers -- can easily repurpose data under management and quickly search, access, create information to enable better decision making and collaboration. More than 300 new features in Simpana 10 combine to reduce risk, slash costs by up to half, reduce administrative overhead by up to 80 percent and lower aggregate support costs by up to 35 percent.
CommVault also launched new enterprise consulting and professional services, educational offerings, including new predictive analytics support. CommVault will showcase Simpana 10 innovations worldwide starting today at its "Power of 10" event in New York City.
More than 75 percent of companies report it is critical or very important that their end users have the ability to securely access data from outside the office from any device, according to a 2013 IDG study commissioned by CommVault. The survey describes the data security, productivity and decision-making challenges caused by information silos and highlights how a single platform providing secure data management and access from anywhere can mitigate these enterprise IT issues. Additionally, 87 percent of organizations are interested in a solution that enables end users to have secure, universal access to all company data from any device at any time, via intuitive search.
Increasing the Value of Data
The Simpana single-platform software architecture builds on CommVault's Solving Forward® vision to modernize data management. Simpana 10's singular architecture efficiently stores all protected data in a virtual repository, called ContentStore, and opens access to simplify the way end users search, analyze and repurpose data across an enterprise. Simpana ContentStore lays the foundation for future innovation, such as automated, content-based retention, and integration with third-party analytics and business intelligence applications.
Slashing Time, Risk and Cost
As enterprises adopt modern techniques to protect and recover their critical applications such as hardware snapshots integrated with backup, CommVault continues to lead the industry in delivering comprehensive data management solutions that help improve efficiency and reduce operational costs. New data protection and archive innovations simplify administration, reduce infrastructure and accelerate virtualization and cloud adoption, such as:
- Enhanced IntelliSnap™ snapshot management, formerly called SnapProtect, provides instant, automated recovery of applications and virtual servers with the industry-leading compatibility. Simpana 10 expands IntelliSnap management of snapshot, backup and replication by adding new integration and use cases to extend customers' existing investments and increase flexibility including: new support for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 with Hyper-V; enhancements to IBM DB2, Lotus Notes, SAP and Oracle integration; converged snapshot and backup policies that simplify operations; and snapshot cloning orchestration that speeds application testing, development and business analytics.
- Simpana OnePass™ with Exchange makes long-term e-mail retention affordable and practical by converging backup, archiving and reporting into a single process. Simpana OnePass technology eliminates requirements for separate infrastructure with "zero footprint archiving," controls storage growth and delivers 2 times faster e-mail and archive protection. A Microsoft Outlook plug-in enables end-users to reduce the time it takes to search, view and recover archived e-mails from hours to seconds, by accessing e-mails retained in ContentStore directly from Outlook.
- Tighter integration with Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware vSphere 5.1 and vCloud Director 5.1 helps enterprises achieve cloud-scale through automated discovery, protection and recovery in virtualized environments.
- Multiple enhancements that slash the cost and complexity of disaster recovery and reduce recovery time, from replicating deduplicated data copies to any storage target to using single-click recovery of backups into virtual machines.
Optimized for IT, Designed for Cloud and Service Providers
IT leaders and service providers can improve quality of service and easily deploy massively scalable, shared services, cloud computing and IT-as-a-service infrastructures. Compared to the previous software release, Simpana 10 reduces the time required to manage operations by up to 50 percent with new innovations including:
- Workflow automation reduces management and operator errors, providing drag-and-drop functionality that simplifies repeatable tasks and frees IT resources for more strategic initiatives.
- Fourth-generation parallel deduplication doubles performance and scale through a new grid-based architecture.
- Customizable web-based reporting, dashboards and cloud-based analytics provide insights to help administrators continuously optimize operations.
- Multi-tenancy protection, self-service operations, chargeback and custom branding enable broad service catalog offerings, reduce cost and increase provider revenue using a single platform.
Transforming the Way Users Discover, Access and Analyze information
CommVault keeps enterprises in stride with their mobile workforce by repurposing protected data in ContentStore, allowing end users to search, view, download and restore files and documents without requiring IT assistance or third-party services. Simpana 10 boosts productivity by up to 50 percent with self-service access and enhancements that reduce retrieval time from hours to seconds including:
- End-users can access their personal data through a new web-based console and CommVault Edge™ mobile app for smartphones and tablets.
- Administrators can access reporting and quickly manage tasks on the go using the new CommVault Monitor app.
- Enhanced search engine integration across multiple content types provides faster, more granular role-based search capabilities.
- For the first time, healthcare professionals can rapidly search and retrieve Picture Archiving and Communications Systems (PACs) images and electronic records housed in the ContentStore, even if the data originated from multiple PACs platforms. A centralized archive supports both Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) and non-DICOM data, to improve efficiency and control data management costs for healthcare providers.
Backed by Support, Education and Professional Services
CommVault unveiled new service offerings that design and deliver modern information infrastructure for enterprises of all sizes, including:
- Consulting and Professional Services including new disaster recovery, snapshot management, virtual server protection, and data classification and archive policy design
- Enterprise support that proactively and continuously monitor environments to identify potential issues and notify customers to prevent data incidents
- Updated role-based education offerings and new web based training modules
Available immediately direct and through CommVault's PartnerAdvantage global network of distribution, channel and OEM partners.
- Bob Hammer, Chairman and CEO of CommVault: "CIOs continue to look for ways to control Big Data and enhance methods that make the data work smarter for their enterprise. Demand for better data management software and services has been the driving factor in CommVault's 25 percent annual growth over the past seven years, making it the fastest growing storage software company in the world. The launch of Simpana 10 delivers an exponential leap on how companies manage data for their mobile workforces, improve operational efficiency at scale and extract more value from their data for better, more timely decision making."
- Dr. Stephen F. Mills, CIO, Rackspace: "We're an open cloud company with a lean team that moves at the speed of business to back up more than 60,000 customer servers a night. We rely heavily on CommVault to advise us in the way that we back up customer data because data protection is a critical service that we provide our customers. Rackspace backs up 50 petabytes a month with CommVault Simpana software; CommVault's source side dedupe has saved us a substantial amount in disk costs alone, and it helps to keep the data volumes on our network low. Before we selected CommVault, we struggled to get our partners to listen to us and to incorporate the features we needed into their product roadmaps. CommVault has been a great partner, and together we've made some important changes to the Simpana product that are really going to help us in the long term."
- Robert Amatruda, Research Director, Data-Protection and Recovery, IDC: "Unabated data growth, rapid virtualization and an increasingly mobile workforce are outstripping the ability of companies to adequately safeguard their data using traditional processes or tools. CommVault's Simpana 10 delivers a modernized and integrated set of solutions for enterprise customers needing to protect and archive their data at scale as well as repurpose it for many use-cases saving them time and money."
- What the industry is saying about Simpana 10
- CommVault® Simpana® 10 software information page with videos, data sheets and whitepapers
- Livestream webcast of CommVault-hosted Data Management Summit, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. EST, Monday, February 25
- CommVault Blog updated with Simpana 10 posts
- More CommVault news
- Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds
- Follow CommVault on Twitter
- Follow CommVault on Facebook
- Watch CommVault videos on YouTube
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements. The development and timing of any product release as well as any of its features or functionality remain at our sole discretion.
©1999-2013 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Simpana OnePass, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, IntelliSnap, ROMS, CommVault Edge, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.