Concentra Proves Preventing the Flu is as Easy as 3-2-1
ADDISON, Texas, Oct. 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Concentra, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., with more than 310 medical centers in 40 states, is gearing up for flu season – stocking up on flu vaccines and sharing important information about the flu, how it's spread, treated, and how to protect against it.
Known as the flu, influenza is an extremely contagious respiratory infection. Flu symptoms are more severe than those of colds and often include high fever, cough, and full body aches. It can cause severe complications and results in 3,000 to 49,000 deaths a year in the U.S., according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. But the flu can be prevented by following these 3 simple steps:
- Get an influenza vaccine. Doctors and experts agree that the influenza vaccine provides the best protection from flu. Research has shown that the flu vaccine can reduce the chances of getting the flu by 90 percent in healthy adults. Flu vaccines are available now at all Concentra Urgent Care center locations.
- Wash your hands often. Frequent hand-washing is an easy way to avoid getting sick and spreading germs. Concentra recommends thorough hand washing before preparing food, after using the bathroom, and after sneezing or coughing. If soap and clean water are not available, an alcohol-based hand cleanser may be an effective alternative.
- See a physician. If flu-like symptoms develop, individuals should consult a doctor or health care provider. For those who are confirmed to have influenza, a physician may choose to prescribe antiviral drugs to treat flu symptoms. Concentra's experienced physicians and clinicians are familiar with the flu and can provide effective treatment against it.
There are 2 important things to remember about the flu this year.
- The flu shot reaches full effectiveness after two weeks
- The earlier a flu vaccine is given, the more coverage it offers throughout the flu season
Concentra is your 1 destination for flu prevention, and treatment of flu symptoms.
"Concentra is poised to meet the needs of people across the country by providing flu shots when they need them, delivering the right care at the right time," said Concentra Chief Medical Officer W. Tom Fogarty, M.D.
Concentra makes flu protection as easy as 3-2-1. To learn more information about the flu, including popular myths and facts about influenza, log on to www.concentra.com, or visit a local Concentra medical center.
Concentra, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., is a leading health care company focused on improving America's health, one patient at a time. Through its affiliated clinicians, the company provides occupational medicine, urgent care, physical therapy, and wellness services from more than 310 medical centers in 40 states. In addition to these medical center locations, Concentra serves employers by providing a broad range of health advisory services and operating more than 260 worksite medical facilities. Through this complement of services, Concentra intends to raise the standard of health by putting individuals first, treating them with clinical excellence, and focusing on their ongoing wellness. www.Concentra.com
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company's web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders;
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings;
- Most recent investor conference presentations;
- Quarterly earnings news releases;
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls;
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors);
- Corporate Governance information
More by this Source
Concentra Offers Greater Protection Against Stronger Flu Strains
Oct 23, 2013, 13:19 ET
Concentra Launches Best-In-Class Program to Improve Workers' Health
Sep 18, 2013, 09:51 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.