Concentra Recognizes National Safety Awareness Month
DALLAS, June 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Concentra, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., is participating in June's National Safety Awareness Month by sharing key safety tips to staying injury-free while enjoying popular summer activities.
Led by the National Safety Council, National Safety Awareness Month is an annual observance created to educate and influence behaviors around leading causes of preventable injuries and deaths. This year's theme, "Safety Starts with Me", focuses on teaching individuals about their role and responsibility in creating a safe environment for themselves and those around them.
To help reduce the number of injuries while outdoors, Concentra recommends following the three 'Ps' of prevention1—preparation, planning and problem anticipation, as well as incorporating these tips when participating in outdoor activities this season:
- Drink plenty of water. If you are spending extra time outdoors, be sure to drink 10 to 14 cups of water a day to avoid dehydration, even when conditions are overcast or have high humidity2.
- Never leave children unattended near water. Per the CDC, drowning ranks fifth among the leading cause of accidental injury-related deaths in the U.S3.
- Use the 10-foot rule. When grilling outdoors, it is important to position the grill at least 10 feet from any structure, plant, and garage where a fire could start. This also reduces the chance of injuries and property damage4.
- Protect your skin. Prevent sunburns and reduce your skin cancer risks by always using sunscreen with a minimum SPF 15. Long sleeves, pants, sunglasses, and a hat also offer protection against UVA and UVB rays.
- No biting. Warmer months also bring mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks. Apply insect repellant, especially in heavily wooded areas, to prevent bites and illnesses.
- Wear safety equipment. If your swimming ability is limited, be sure to wear a life jacket. Also, don't forget a helmet, knee, and elbow pads when cycling or skating.
For more tips on ways to have a healthy, fun summer, visit www.cdc.gov/features/movingoutdoors.
Concentra Urgent Care is here to help patients get started on the path to better health and reduce the risk of chronic illnesses with an annual physical exam at any of its 330 national locations. Concentra Urgent Care offers affordable health care services for the entire family, and is rapidly becoming the new trend in patient care. For a complete list of locations, visit www.Concentra.com.
Concentra, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., is a leading health care company focused on improving America's health, one patient at a time. Through its affiliated clinicians, the company provides occupational medicine, urgent care, physical therapy, and wellness services from more than 330 medical centers in 40 states. In addition to these medical center locations, Concentra serves employers by providing a broad range of health advisory services and operating more than 270 worksite medical facilities. Through this complement of services, Concentra intends to raise the standard of health by putting individuals first, treating them with clinical excellence, and focusing on their ongoing wellness. www.Concentra.com
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company's web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information
CDC, New CDC Study First to Present National Outdoor Recreational Injury Estimates, http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2008/r080610.htm
Rick Curtis, OA Guide to Heat Related Illnesses & Fluid Balance, http://web.archive.org/web/20060912233558/www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/heatill.shtml
CDC, Unintentional Drowning: Get the Facts, http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/water-safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html
Tim Cherry, Safety key as warmer weather allows more outdoor activities, http://www.belvoireagle.com/news/article_da5f1f5e-c922-11e2-9cbe-001a4bcf6878.html