Connected World Selects 2013 Ford Fusion Energi as Connected Car of the Year
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- All-new Ford Fusion Energi named Connected World Connected Car of the Year 2013; Fusion Energi features standard SYNC® with MyFord Touch® to help drivers stay connected while keeping eyes on the road and hands on the wheel
- MyFord® Mobile smartphone app allows owners of plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles – including Fusion Energi, C-MAX Energi and Focus Electric – to keep track of battery charging, find nearby charging stations and minimize charging costs
- 2013 Fusion Energi offers the most complete advanced driver assist technologies of any midsize car
In an announcement at the 2013 International CES, Connected World Magazine has awarded the all-new Ford Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid the midsize Connected World Connected Car of the Year 2013.
The all-new Fusion offers the most complete array of advanced connectivity and driver assist features of any mainstream sedan. The Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid includes standard SYNC® with MyFord Touch® and compatibility with the MyFord® Mobile smartphone app.
"SYNC has helped us evolve as an automaker, to think and act more like a technology company, with a new level of openness and access that has forever changed how we look at our business and respond to our customers," said Paul Mascarenas, chief technical officer and vice president, Ford Research and Innovation. "Ultimately, SYNC embodies one of the many things Ford is all about: going further to transform innovative ideas into products that are affordable, attainable and valuable for millions of people."
The award-winning SYNC connectivity system, available on all Ford Motor Company vehicles enables drivers to connect their phones, tablets and digital media players via Bluetooth® or USB for hands-free calling and media playback using simple voice commands. SYNC with SYNC Services offers a range of services powered by the mobile data connection drivers already have. These services include Traffic, Directions and Information, Vehicle Health Report, 911 Assist and more.
All Ford plug-in vehicles, including Fusion Energi, C-MAX Energi and Focus Electric, feature the MyFord Mobile app that helps give owners the ability to use any connected mobile phone with a data plan or computer with Internet access when not operating a vehicle to:
- Find current and projected state of charge information including estimated range and the amount of charge time necessary for additional travel distances
- Program vehicle charging with utility input, allowing the car to start charging immediately or when electricity prices are lowest with the value charging feature, powered by Microsoft
- Using features powered by MapQuest®:
- Locate charging stations and get the destination sent to the vehicle
- Know if the vehicle can reach a specific charge station from its current location with the current charge level
- Create a journey with multiple stops, and determine the likelihood the car has adequate charge for the full journey
- Find the car by creating a route from a mobile phone to the vehicle
- Receive alerts if the vehicle isn't charging when it's scheduled to, or if charging stops unexpectedly due to a power outage, plug removal or other event
- Receive alerts during recharge when the vehicle has reached a particular preset charge level or has the ability to reach a particular destination
- Engage remote vehicle preconditioning, using grid power to heat or cool the battery and vehicle interior
- Remotely lock/unlock doors
- Use the built-in GPS system to locate the car
- Download performance and system data
- Earn various achievements for driving and ownership milestones that can then be posted to your Facebook or Twitter account
- Fun ways of understanding your driver behavior, with ratings from "Zen" to "zippy"
- Receive information personalized, depending on which key used
Keeping the driver aware
Fusion Energi is available with a full suite of advanced driver assistance technologies that help the driver be more aware of his or her surroundings by providing alerts to potential hazards and active assistance to help avoid accidents.
An array of radar, ultrasonic, optical and motion sensors around the car keep the driver informed by looking into the spaces he or she can't see.
Available driver assist technologies include Lane-Keeping System, Driver Alert System, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS ®), active park assist, cross-traffic alert, adaptive cruise control, collision warning and a rear view camera.
"These new sensing technologies help extend the driver's own senses, providing a level of assistance never before available to the family sedan buyer," said John Jraiche, Ford Fusion chief engineer. "The all-new Fusion makes these advanced technologies more affordable and available than ever before."
"We see the driver as always being at the center of control of the vehicle," added Mascarenas. "With improvements in sensing and control technologies, we now provide unprecedented levels of assistance to our Fusion customers."
While understanding it is critical drivers retain full control of their vehicle at all times, Ford engineers recognize there will always be situations where they can use some help, so they've developed these driver assistance technologies to help mitigate the risks. Until now, it's only been possible to get many of these features in luxury cars costing $100,000 or more.
The story behind the new Fusion
For more on the new Ford Fusion, check out http://FordFusionStory.com, a special mobile site featuring articles, videos and graphics that are easily shareable directly from a smartphone, tablet or computer browser to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and blogs.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 172,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company