Connecticut Celebrates 10th Annual Open House Day On June 14 Local Destinations Open Doors to Residents with Free/Discounted Entry and Special Activities
HARTFORD, Conn., June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- On Saturday, June 14, Connecticut's Office of Tourism invites residents to come out and explore the state's unique blend of destinations during the 10th annual Connecticut Open House Day. As part of the statewide event, more than 175 destinations are providing special offers for residents, from free state park admissions and boat cruises, to discounted spa services and more.
"We've found our residents don't always realize the diverse blend of experiences that Connecticut offers," said Randy Fiveash, director of the Connecticut Office of Tourism. "Open House provides a unique opportunity for people to enjoy the state's special mix of historic and the new, the relaxing and the active, the natural and the cultural – whether they visit someplace they've never been before or return to a treasured favorite."
Residents can visit destinations all across the state, including:
- Governor's Residence in Hartford – free admission from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., including tours of the outside sculpture garden and inside the Residence, plus lemon ice will be served on the outside patio.
- Mystic Aquarium in Mystic – offering $5 off general admission for up to four people when they mention Connecticut Open House Day and present a valid Connecticut ID, 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- PEZ Visitor Center in Orange – free admission from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- New England Air Museum in Windsor Lakes – free admission from noon until 4 p.m.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe Center in Hartford – free admission from 9:30 a.m. with house tours, horse-drawn carriage rides and walking tours of Nook Farm, as well as a complimentary shuttle between Nook Farm and Amistad Center at the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art.
- Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk – providing $2 off the discount combo ticket from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. The ticket includes admission into the Aquarium and a classic IMAX movie.
- Roseland Cottage in Woodstock – purchase one admission ticket and receive a second ticket for free. Open from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- The Adventure Park at Storrs – 10% ticket discount from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- New England Carousel Museum in Bristol – from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., each visitor will receive half-off regular admission and a free ride on the carousel.
Open House Day continues to evolve year over year with 19 new participants including Delamar Greenwich Harbor, Soarin' Indoors and the Southington Drive-In and Avon Theaters, among others, while it continues to attract pioneering members of the Open House Day family, such as Goodspeed Opera House, Henry Whitfield State Museum, Nathan Hale Homestead, Prudence Crandall Museum and American Clock & Watch Museum and more.
For a complete list of participating venues updated daily go to CTvisit.com. More information can also be found via the Visit Connecticut Facebook invite, Open House Day Pinterest Map and @CTvisit Twitter channel.
SOURCE Connecticut Office of Tourism