Turkey Fryer Safety
Although a fried turkey is very tasty, it's not the safest thing to do. Since 2004, CPSC is aware of 107 fire or burn incidents involving turkey fryers that have caused 47 injuries and $5.2 million in property loss. If you must fry your turkey, please gobble up these tips:
- Use turkey fryers outside only and away from your home.
- Never use a turkey fryer in a garage or on a porch.
- Completely thaw and dry turkey before cooking
- Do not overfill the oil in the turkey fryer.
- If oil begins to smoke, immediately turn gas supply OFF.
- Never leave the turkey fryer unattended.
One last note, it's important to remember that many families have three or more generations living together under the same roof. In these cases, additional attention needs to be given to fire safety planning. For more on that, check out CPSC and the National Fire Protection Association's joint multigenerational fire safety tool kit here.
CPSC wishes you and your family a happy -- and safe -- Thanksgiving!
Office of Communications
U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20030904/USCSCLOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cook-up-safety-this-holiday-season-300366996.html
SOURCE U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission