SAN FRANCISCO, July 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Coverity, Inc., the leader in development testing, today announced the release of version 6.6 of the Coverity® Development Testing Platform, the company's integrated suite of software testing technologies for identifying and remediating critical quality and security issues during development. The Coverity 6.6 platform offers a full range of new features and capabilities, including a patent-pending innovation in Coverity Test Advisor that helps developers prioritize which automated tests need to be run, along with the order they should be run, based on code criticality and risk, change impact and project priorities. This innovation enables development teams to use their testing time wisely—aligned to where the risk is in the code.
"Time to market pressure results in continually shrinking software delivery windows, while the business risks associated with software defects have never been greater," said Jennifer Johnson, chief marketing officer for Coverity. "Development teams don't have the luxury of time, so wasting precious cycles running 100s or 1000s of tests that don't move the needle is no longer feasible. Test prioritization is a significant step forward in making unit testing more effective and efficient. By providing critical intelligence into code—to ensure the right tests are run, in the right order—development teams can meet rapidly increasing business demands for high-quality and secure software with confidence."
"Software drives innovation and competitive position, and visibility into and velocity of software releases has never been greater even as deployment complexity across mobile, social and cloud platforms has increased dramatically. Companies are scrambling with constrained staff to crank out high performing software, so intelligent, prioritized decision-making about what and when to test can drive effective execution for software delivery," said Melinda Ballou, program director for IDC's Application Lifecycle Management and Executive Strategies service.
Additional enhancements in Coverity 6.6 include:
- Policy management: Define and enforce code quality and security policies, tailored to specific business requirements and risk by component, development team or third party supplier. Customizable heat maps provide a more granular view of software risks through early warning of policy violations, so issues can be eliminated before they result in costlier, more time consuming problems further along in the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
- Breadth and depth of code analysis: Ten new and enhanced analysis algorithms for finding critical quality and security defects in C/C++ and Java codebases with even greater accuracy. New algorithms include expanded coverage for OWASP Top 10 and CWE Top 25 issue detection in Java web applications.
- Platform and language support: Expanded support for popular languages and platforms including C++ 11 and MAC OS X version 10.8.
- Coverity Certified integrations: Integrations from new Coverity Certified Partners Black Duck Software and PRQA | Programming Research enable development teams to view their best of breed, third party analysis results alongside defects identified by the Coverity platform, in a unified SDLC workflow.
- Register for our What's New in Coverity 6.6 webcast
- Watch our new Coverity Test Advisor demo
- View our Coverity Policy Manager video
Coverity, Inc. (www.coverity.com), the leader in development testing, is the trusted standard for companies that need to protect their brands and bottom lines from software failures. More than 1,100 Coverity customers use Coverity's development testing platform to automatically test source code for software defects that could lead to product crashes, unexpected behavior, security breaches or catastrophic failure. Coverity is a privately held company headquartered in San Francisco. Coverity is funded by Foundation Capital and Benchmark Capital. Follow us on Twitter or check out our blog.
Coverity is a registered trademark of Coverity, Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Coverity, Inc.