Cox Business #SBWsurvey Reveals Email (Still) Rules and Steve Jobs was King
Research results uncover what's on the minds of small businesses during National Small Business Week
ATLANTA, June 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Cox Business today announced results of its inaugural small business survey - #SBWsurvey - a national research survey among 605 small business owners and managers in Cox's footprint on business and communication thoughts and behaviors. Results found that email is still the most critical communication tool, social media lags, while Steve Jobs tops the list as entrepreneurial idol.
More results of the Cox Business small business #SBWsurvey revealed:
- While email is often noted as declining, 40 percent of respondents said email is the tool most critical to the success of their daily communication over cellphones, social media and personnel. In fact, social media accounted for only five percent of business owners and managers daily communication success.
- Social media lags as part of the marketing mix, as 33 percent of survey respondents said social media is a non-existent part of their marketing mix.
- While it's no surprise that the late Steve Jobs was picked as the entrepreneurial idol with 21 percent of the vote, the late Ben Franklin came in a close second with 17 percent and Walt Disney came in third at 15 percent. Looks like the world needs a new living role model.
- Most participants in the survey want to pave their own path - almost two/thirds of the respondents are motivated to own or manage their own business in order to be their own boss and build something of their own.
- Surprisingly, only eight percent of the survey respondents are motivated to manage or own their own business just to make big money.
- An encouraging twist in today's economy, 43 percent of the small businesses surveyed have never considered closing shop.
- The digital world often develops at lightning speed. Keeping up with this technology is what author Brian Solis calls, "Digital Darwinism." Of the small business managers and owners surveyed 37 percent thought they were evolving just fine, while 32 percent said they were attempting but didn't think they could really keep up.
- Over half of the owners and managers of small businesses agreed that emerging technology enhances their business as opposed to being disruptive to it.
More details on Cox Business' #SBWsurvey can be found on CoxBLUE.com, the company's social destination for business. Follow @Coxbusiness on Twitter and join the conversation using #SBWsurvey on Twitter to share the results with your network.
The Cox Business #SBWsurvey was conducted nationwide in May 2013 among 605 small business owners and managers via Survey Monkey. Respondents included businesses in the following areas: Baton Rouge, LA, Cleveland, OH, Gainesville, FL, Las Vegas, NV, Macon, GA, Manchester, CT, New Orleans, LA, Norfolk, VA, Oklahoma City, OK, Omaha, NE, Pensacola, FL, Phoenix, AZ, Providence, RI, Roanoke, VA, San Diego, CA, Santa Barbara, CA, Topeka, KS, Tucson, AZ, and Wichita, KS.
Cox Business provides voice, data and video services for more than 300,000 small and regional businesses, including healthcare providers, K-12 and higher education, financial institutions and federal, state and local government organizations. The organization also serves most of the top tier wireless and wireline telecommunications carriers in the U.S. through its wholesale division. According to Vertical Systems Group, Cox Business is one of the largest providers of business Ethernet services in the U.S. based on customer ports and has been consistently recognized for its leadership among small/midsize business data service providers. Cox is currently the seventh largest voice service provider in the U.S. and supports one million phone lines. For more information about Cox Business, Click Here or call 1-800-396-1609.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet and telephone services over its own nationwide IP network. The third-largest U.S. cable TV company, Cox serves approximately 6 million residences and businesses. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and new media advertising.
Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in cable telephone and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. For seven years, Cox has been recognized as the top operator for women by Women in Cable Telecommunications; for seven years, Cox has ranked among DiversityInc's Top 50 Companies for Diversity. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.
SOURCE Cox Business
More by this Source
Cox Business Launches New Suite of Cloud Services for Small Businesses
Mar 06, 2014, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.