CHESAPEAKE, Va., Feb. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Cox Communications in agreement with NBCUniversal, today announced a multiplatform content offering for NBCUniversal's coverage of the XXII Olympic Winter Games from Sochi, Russia, to commence on Thursday, February 6, and run through Sunday, February 23. Cox video subscribers will have access to NBCUniversal's unprecedented 1,500+ hours of Winter Olympic programming, including every Olympic competition, live and on-demand and across multiple platforms. In addition to enjoying extensive coverage on the networks of NBCUniversal, including NBC, NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), MSNBC, CNBC, and USA Network, subscribers can stay connected to the Sochi Olympic Winter Games wherever they go via NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports Live Extra app, America's premier Olympic digital destinations. Like no other event to date, the Olympic Games have been, and continue to be, a watershed moment for "TV Everywhere," helping to drive awareness and usage.
The following multiplatform offerings from NBCUniversal will allow Cox customers to watch and be a part of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games through their televisions, PCs, and mobile and tablet apps.
NBCUniversal's Olympics Experience on Cox Communications Includes:
- NBCOlympics.com: NBC Sports Live Extra, the home of Olympic live stream content at NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra, is available now to verified customers who subscribe to Cox TV Essential and who log-in to the site. NBCOlympics.com will feature, for the first time, live streaming coverage of all Winter Games competition, plus event rewinds and extensive video highlights. Cox customers can easily verify their subscriptions and watch Olympic coverage live online at no additional charge. Those subscribers who log in and verify their subscriptions by February 6, the first day of competition at the Sochi Games, can enter the NBC Olympics Sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip for two to Rio de Janeiro in 2014, courtesy of NBCUniversal. Cox customers should follow the verification process to access NBC Olympics programming via NBCOlympics.com:
- Go to NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra
- Click the "Verify Now" button
- Select Cox as your TV provider
- Enter the User ID and password that corresponds with your account. (If you don't have one, click the "No Account?" or "Register Now!" link.
- Upon verification of your subscription to an Olympics-eligible package, you will be signed in throughout the Games on that device!
- Mobile and Tablet Apps: NBCUniversal will offer two apps for mobile and tablet viewing. The NBC Sports Live Extra app will be available to verified Cox customers and will offer the same live streaming and event replays available via NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra. The NBC Olympics Highlights and Results app will include short-form highlights, schedules, results, columns and more and will also link to the NBC Sports Live Extra app.
- On Demand: NBCUniversal is making Olympic highlights and full-event rewinds available via Cox's Video-On-Demand service.
Pre-Games: Beginning now, viewers can access more than 100 pre-Games clips in HD via set-top box and Cox's website, including select highlights from the U.S. Olympic Team Trials.
In-Games: Each day during the Sochi Games, NBCUniversal will offer a digital figure skating show called "Olympic Ice." Also during the Games, NBCUniversal will offer more than 350 highlight clips and 150 full-length event replays available within 24 hours of an event's completion, all in HD, available both via NBCOlympics.com and set-top box.
THE OLYMPICS BEGIN FEB. 6, 2014
With more Winter Olympic events than ever before, competition for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games from Sochi, Russia, will begin one day prior to the Opening Ceremony. As a result, NBC will begin its primetime coverage of the 2014 Sochi Olympics on Thursday, February 6, one night before the broadcast network provides its traditional coverage of the Opening Ceremony on Friday Feb. 7. This marks the first time NBC will air Olympic primetime coverage before the Opening Ceremony. The primetime broadcast on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014, is scheduled to include competition in snowboard slopestyle (men's and women's), in which two-time gold medalist Shaun White is expected to compete in the slopestyle's Olympic debut; team figure skating, which is also in the Olympics for the first time; and women's freestyle moguls.
About Cox Communications:
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet and telephone services over its own nationwide IP network. The third-largest U.S. cable TV company, Cox serves approximately 6 million residences and businesses. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and new media advertising.
Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in cable telephone and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. For seven years, Cox has been recognized as the top operator for women by Women in Cable Telecommunications; for seven years, Cox has ranked among DiversityInc's Top 50 Companies for Diversity. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.
Cox Communications Media Contact:
Emma Inman, APR, (757) 222.8432 or Emma.Inman@cox.com
SOURCE Cox Communications