Crittercism Releases Industry First Mobile App Performance Benchmark Report Data Report Measures Key Mobile Performance Metrics around the Globe to Help Developers, Enterprise IT Teams Deliver Top Apps
SAN FRANCISCO, March 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Crittercism, the leader in mobile App Performance Management (mAPM), today released its Mobile Experience Benchmark Report which establishes benchmarks for the performance of mobile apps, mobile operating systems and mobile devices across the globe. The report was generated by examining data from Crittercism's 1 billion monthly active users who use tens of thousands of apps monitored by Crittercism. Key areas of focus for the report include performance across major mobile operating systems, device type (smartphones vs. tablets), device manufacturer, and major cloud services as well as performance across geographies around the world.
Mobile apps are becoming increasingly complex as consumers and businesses demand more functionality. The average app today depends on 6 cloud services each of which can significantly affect the performance of the app, particularly when those services have long response times or high error rates. This report looks at some of the most widely used cloud services like Flurry, Google Analytics, Facebook, Amazon Web Services, and Admob and identifies which services have the best response times and error rates amongst other important performance metrics.
"There are 100 million factors that affect the performance of a mobile app." said Rob Kwok, CTO of Crittercism. "As new mobile platforms such as wearables grow in adoption, the challenge to provide a consistent, high-quality experience to users will be even more difficult and mobile teams need purpose-built solutions to manage the overall app performance. This benchmark report provides the bar that mobile teams should set for their app performance and experience"
The iOS Ecosystem
As one of the most popular mobile operating systems in the world today, Crittercism looks at Apple's mobile ecosystem from OS and device levels to gauge performance:
- iOS: iOS 7.1 is the most stable iOS version with a crash rate well lower than that of iOS 7.0 and iOS 6.
- iPhone: the iPhone 5 remains the most stable iPhone, enjoying a 15% better crash rate than the iPhone 5s
- Across the board, iPhones have superior crash rates to their iPad counterparts
The Android Ecosystem
As with iOS, Crittercism took a look at the Android ecosystem to benchmark its performance:
- Android: Gingerbread has the highest crash rate for Android, more than double KitKat, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean
- Samsung Galaxy: the two most recent versions of Samsung's wildly popular Galaxy S series smartphone, the S4 and S3, enjoy the best crash rates of Android smartphones
- Similar to Apple, Android smartphones are considerably more stable than their tablet counterparts.
The Great White Mobile North
Mobile is becoming an increasingly popular method for taking companies international at breakneck speed, but not all geographies are created equal when it comes to mobile. Crittercism compared app performance across different countries and regions and found that Canada and Japan are the leaders with the fastest response times. Specific findings from the report include:
- Canada and Japan both outperform the US response times. China, Australia and Europe users also enjoy fast response times on their mobile devices.
- As would be expected, developing regions around the globe see the most lag from mobile apps – the Middle East, Southeast Asia and Africa all experience significant delays in response time, but India takes home last prize with average response time more than twice what's seen in the US.
Full findings from Crittercism's first State of Mobile app performance report can be found here: http://crittercism.com/benchmark/.
Crittercism provides the world's leading mobile application performance management (mAPM) solution. The company's solutions monitor every aspect of mobile app performance, allowing Developers, IT Operations and Product Managers to deliver faster, better and smarter mobile apps. Crittercism provides a real-time global view of app diagnostics across iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8, Hybrid and HTML5 apps. The company's investors include Google Ventures, Opus Capital and Shasta Ventures. Learn more at http://www.crittercism.com.