Crystal's Edible Adventures Give Taste Of Ultra-Local Europe In 2013
Food-focused Visits to Villages, Countrysides, and "Old Towns" Offer Authentic European Stew of Flavors
LOS ANGELES, April 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Ultra-luxe Crystal Cruises is celebrating "la buona cucina" (good cuisine) in Europe this year, with more than 60 shore excursions that offer an ultra-local taste of the rich culinary regions in which Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony are sailing. Hands-on cooking classes, multi-course meals, comestible history lessons, food sourcing, and sampling will be hosted in traditional homes, farms, chateaus, Michelin-starred restaurants, and markets. From spring through fall, Crystal offers 65 five- to 15-day European cruise itineraries visiting Spain, Italy, France, Malta, Greece, the UK, Sweden, Norway, Russian, Estonia, Romania, and Morocco.
"Today, there are more and more Crystal 'foodies,' who relish connecting with the culinary nuances and culture of a region in a very authentic, memorable and intimate way," says John Stoll, vice president of port and land operations.
Ports offering edible excursions include:
SOUTHERN EUROPE/NORTH AFRICA
- Valetta: Shop at a local open-air market with a Maltese culinary ambassador, then join her at home for a group cooking and dinner party.
- Agadir: Create regional family recipes with Berber chefs, among olive groves.
- Malaga: Glean signature Andalusian dish secrets from the chef/owner of Andalusia's only two-star Michelin restaurant.
- Sicily: Study Sicilian cuisine such as arancine di riso (rice and tomato croquettes) and pennette alla eoliana (pasta with capers, olives, and tomatoes) with mandarin plantation owners.
- Constanta: Cook "sarmale cu mamaliguta," a Romanian dish of minced pork, spices, pickled cabbage, and corn flour, at a local restaurant.
- Casablanca: Prepare traditional lamb with plums and honey while sipping orange juice in orange flower water.
- Barcelona: Learn Catalan recipes, from paella to Crema Catalana, in the Gothic Quarter.
- Corfu: See how bread is baked in a traditional garden wood-fire stove, in a private home in one of the island's most traditional old villages.
- Mykonos: Go on a tasting tour of local bakeries, with mouth-watering morsels including amygdalota almond pastry and koulouri sesame buns.
- Sorrento: From a typical farm house to Michelin-starred restaurants, learn from the best local chefs, including the nuances of different mozzarella cheeses, and their application on pizza.
- Bordeaux/Bassens: Sample wild nettle pie, dandelion flower jelly, and multi-course gourmet dinners in a wide range of excursions with topics ranging from the Slow Food Movement to chateau visits.
- Bilbao: Indulge in Basque Country cheese, one of the world's finest, in the land of Laxta sheep, or explore three types of pinchos, a typical bread-based appetizer of the region.
- Akureyri: Nibble Icelandic carpaccio, ice cream, and smoke hut lamb during a local farm crawl.
- Tallinn: Assist a Master Confectioner in creating Estonian chocolates and truffle fillings.
- Honningsvag: Eat King Crab you just pulled fresh from the North Cape waters.
- Stockholm: Follow a modern-day Viking guide through medieval Old Town for Smorgasbord treats.
- Hellesylt/Geiranger: Taste homemade goat caramel from a 300 year-old goat farm on a fjord.
- Bergen: Learn how to prepare local fish like Atlantic salmon and cod at the Norwegian Seafood Center.
Prices for the culinary excursion series start at $62/person. All-inclusive cruise fares start at $1,895/person, with additional savings if booked by April 30.
Extraordinary culinary experiences are a hallmark of every Crystal vacation. Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity's extensive, innovative choices for gourmandizing include the ultra-luxury line's coveted cheese and wine cellars, overseen by on-board, certified cheese and wine sommeliers (Court of Master Sommeliers-certified); all-inclusive, chef-like cocktails served by certified mixologists; and gourmet dining options at every meal, whether in the Crystal Dining Room, at afternoon tea, or in Nobu Matsuhisa and Piero Selvaggio's specialty restaurants.
For more information and Crystal reservations, contact a travel agent, call 888-799-4625, or visit www.crystalcruises.com.
SOURCE Crystal Cruises
More by this Source
19 Ways To "Getaway" To Asia In 2014
Dec 03, 2013, 14:33 ET
Extended Adventures Ashore In Myanmar, China, Vietnam & More Set For Crystal Asia Cruises
Nov 19, 2013, 14:22 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.