CSX Reminds Communities: Enjoy the Summer, But Use Caution Around Railroad Tracks
JACKSONVILLE, Fla., July 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With summer activities in full swing and the Fourth of July holiday approaching, CSX Corporation (NYSE: CSX) reminds everyone to stay away from railroad tracks and motorists to use caution at grade crossings.
"We hope our community neighbors enjoy their picnics, fireworks and time with family and friends, but never underestimate the dangers of trespassing or playing on railroad property," said Terry Ludban, director - community affairs and safety. "Always be alert and remember to play it safe near railroad tracks."
To prevent injuries and save lives, consider these facts:
- It can take an average freight train more than a mile to come to a complete stop.
- Trains do not always operate on predictable schedules, so assume one could pass by at any moment.
- Highway-rail intersections should only be crossed at designated pedestrian or roadway crossing locations.
- Trains can overhang the tracks by three feet or more on each side. Standing next to the tracks is dangerous, and most bridges and tunnels only have room for trains to pass.
- Tracks are private property. Walking or riding on tracks or other railroad property without the permission of the railroad is illegal. Violators will be prosecuted, and they risk the possibility of serious, even fatal, injury.
"Public safety is a top priority at CSX, and we work closely with our employees, communities and industry partners on education and awareness programs designed to end collisions, fatalities and injuries at grade crossings and on railroad tracks," Ludban said.
Those programs include CSX's "Play it Safe" partnership with Front Row Motorsports and NASCAR driver David Ragan, whose car bears a bumper sticker that says "I brake for trains," reminding everyone to stop at railroad crossings and obey any signs or warning signals.
For more information on safe rail practices and CSX's commitment to serving the communities in which it operates, please visit http://www.beyondourrails.org/.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For more than 185 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and small farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/OfficialCSX) and follow us on Twitter (http://twitter.com/CSX).
SOURCE CSX Corporation