Current State of Global HIV Epidemic and Response among Gay Men and Transgender People Focus of Upcoming AIDS 2012 Pre-Conference Event
More than 800 experts representing over 110 countries and 500 organizations to assess latest epidemiology, novel HIV prevention strategies, and role of human rights at full-day event
WASHINGTON, July 16, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Global Forum on MSM & HIV (MSMGF) will hold its 5th biennial pre-conference to the International AIDS Conference on Saturday, July 21st, to assess the current state of the global HIV epidemic and response among gay men, other men who have sex with men (MSM), and transgender people. Entitled, "From Stigma to STRENGTH: Strategies for MSM, Transgender People and Allies in a Changing AIDS Landscape," the full-day event will feature the latest developments in HIV prevention, treatment, research, policy, and advocacy concerning MSM and transgender people around the world.
Media are invited to this event, taking place on Saturday, July 21st, from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM at FHI 360, 1825 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC.
Speakers will include:
- The Honorable Congresswoman Barbara Lee, United States House of Representatives
- The Honorable Michael Kirby, Former High Court Judge, Australia
- Dr. Kevin Fenton, Director, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention (CDC)
- Dr. Mandeep Dhaliwal, Cluster Leader: Human Rights, Gender & Sexual Diversities (UNDP)
- Dr. Tonya Nyagiro, Senior Specialist: Gender, Key Populations & Human Rights (Global Fund)
- Ernest Massiah, Director, UNAIDS Caribbean Regional Support Team
- Dr. Rafael Mazin, Senior Advisor on HIV, STI and Hepatitis, Pan-American Health Organization (WHO)
- Francis Kaikumba, Chief Executive Officer, African Health Policy Network
- Thomas Cai, Director, AIDS Care China
- Maurice Tomlinson, Legal Advisor, Marginalized Groups, AIDS-Free World
- Earl Fowlkes, President, International Federation of Black Prides
- Mauro Cabral, Co-Director, GATE - Global Action for Trans* Equality
- Dr. Robert Grant, Senior Investigator and Professor of Medicine, Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, UCSF
- Dr. Ian McGowan, Professor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
The full program is available online at http://www.msmgf.org/files/msmgf//documents/FSTS_2012_Program.pdf.
To register as media for the Pre-Conference Event, please contact Jack Beck at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mobile at +1.510.332.0786. Pre-registration is encouraged, as space is limited. Post-event documentation and photography will also be available upon request.
The state of the global HIV epidemic and response among gay men will also be the subject of a press conference to take place at the International AIDS Conference press center on Wednesday, July 25th, from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM in Press Conference Room 1 (PCR1). Please contact Mr. Beck for more information.
The Global Forum on MSM & HIV (MSMGF) is an expanding network of AIDS organizations, MSM networks, and advocates committed to ensuring robust coverage of and equitable access to effective HIV prevention, care, treatment, and support services tailored to the needs of gay men and other MSM.
SOURCE The Global Forum on MSM & HIV