JIE development also underpins DoD's adoption of cloud computing and big data. Deltek anticipates opportunities will develop for government contractors that provide on-premise data center services and Software-as-a-Service capabilities. DoD also intends to harness big data analytics within its new environment to enhance cybersecurity and support the use of emerging technologies such as autonomous unmanned systems and the Internet of Things.
- JIE – DoD's goal is to have most networks integrated into the JIE by the end of FY 2018, which may not be feasible given the level of complexity and number of networks. Army continues to be moving the most aggressively towards this goal, followed by Air Force and the Navy/USMC, whose progress will rest largely on the shoulders of the winner of the Next Generation Enterprise Networks Re-compete (NGEN-R) contract.
- Cyber – Cybersecurity is DoD's number one priority, heightened by increasing threats and the need for skilled cyber professionals. Securing vulnerable networked weapon systems and transitioning to more secure Windows 10 are near-term challenges.
- Cloud – Rapidly evolving governance and technical infrastructure suggest that the DoD will have all the major pieces in place by the end of FY 2017 to unleash a surge in cloud spending and the use of contractor-owned and operated commercial clouds at DoD facilities.
- Emerging Technologies – The FY 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) will usher in changes to the DoD's technology acquisition and administrative structure that enable the DoD to accept more risk and experiment with acquiring emerging technologies more rapidly.
- Big Data – Defense customers continue to leverage big data solutions for cybersecurity, business systems, and health IT, but fragmentary data management strategies and the scarcity of chief data officers is hampering enterprise-level adoption.
- Mobility – Securing the vulnerabilities that mobile devices present is the number one challenge to expanding mobile access across the DoD. New multi-factor authentication approaches should provide a solution.
DELTEK ANALYST QUOTES
"One of DoD's biggest challenges is in integrating cyber into other warfare domains and technology. The JIE is intended to provide the infrastructure – interoperable, standardized, and based on open architecture – to accomplish security goals and make it easier to incorporate cyber into broader operational strategies."
– John Slye, Advisory Research Analyst, Deltek
"President-elect Trump's budgetary vision for the DoD will determine the scope of the opportunity for innovation. If properly funded, opportunities will develop in emerging areas in cybersecurity, autonomy, and cloud architecture."
– Alex Rossino, Senior Principal Research Analyst, Deltek
Growing #DoD cyber threats fuel momentum in Joint Information Environment (JIE) development, #Deltek report http://ow.ly/9Cd1307Z2ja
Biggest #DoD challenges: blending cyber into traditional warfare & hardening weapons systems. #Deltek report: http://ow.ly/9Cd1307Z2ja
According to #Deltek report, FY 2017 defense authorization could make it easier for DoD to innovate http://ow.ly/9Cd1307Z2ja
For more information on GovWin IQ and this report, visit the "Defense IT: Priorities and Strategies, 2017 and Beyond" page or download the free summary here. The report is free to subscribers of GovWin's Federal Market Analysis program.
Deltek is the leading global provider of enterprise software and information solutions for government contractors, professional services firms and other project-based businesses. For decades, we have delivered actionable insight that empowers our customers to unlock their business potential. 22,000 organizations and millions of users in over 80 countries around the world rely on Deltek to research and identify opportunities, win new business, recruit and develop talent, optimize resources, streamline operations and deliver more profitable projects. Deltek – Know more. Do more.® www.deltek.com
Senior Director, Corporate Marketing and Communications
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cybersecurity-building-momentum-for-the-defense-joint-information-environment-jie-according-to-deltek-300391852.html