MONMOUTH JUNCTION, N.J., May 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- CytoSorbents Corporation (OTCBB: CTSO), a critical care focused company using blood purification to treat life-threatening illnesses in the intensive care unit, was recently featured in the article "Blood Purification Device for ICU Patients Seeks to Treat Root Cause of Sepsis" on May 24, 2013 in MedCity News.
Highlights from the MedCity News Article:
- The cost of treating sepsis was $14.6 billion in 2008, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- CytoSorb®, the Company's flagship blood purification technology, targets the prevention or treatment of organ failure, the root cause of death in sepsis and many other critical illnesses commonly treated in the intensive care unit (ICU).
- Organ failure is caused by an excessive immune response to an infection or injury. CytoSorb® works by directly removing cytokines, toxins, and other inflammatory substances that are driving this response.
- CytoSorb® is approved in all countries of the European Union and is now generating commercial sales in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
- CytoSorb® can be used "on-label" in critically-ill patients for many medical issues, including sepsis, pancreatitis, liver failure and complications of surgery.
- The Company plans to pursue a sepsis pivotal trial in the U.S. in early 2014, with the goal of achieving U.S. regulatory approval for CytoSorb® after several years.
- Highlights approximately $5 million in grant money awarded to the Company by agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense such as DARPA and the U.S. Army.
The full article can be found at http://medcitynews.com/2013/05/blood-purification-device-for-icu-patients-seeks-to-treat-root-cause-of-sepsis/
CytoSorbents Corporation is a critical care focused therapeutic device company using blood purification to modulate the immune system and fight multiple organ failure in life-threatening illnesses. Its purification technology is based on biocompatible, highly porous polymer beads that can actively remove toxic substances from blood and other bodily fluids by pore capture and adsorption. CytoSorb®, the Company's flagship product, is approved in the European Union as a safe and effective extracorporeal cytokine filter, designed to reduce the "cytokine storm" that could otherwise cause massive inflammation, organ failure and death in common critical illnesses such as sepsis, burn injury, trauma, lung injury, and pancreatitis. These are conditions where the mortality is extremely high, yet no effective treatments exist. CytoSorbents has numerous products under development based upon the same underlying blood purification technology such as HemoDefend™, ContrastSorb, DrugSorb, and others. Additional information is available for download on the Company's website: http://www.cytosorbents.com.
This press release includes forward-looking statements intended to qualify for the safe harbor from liability established by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements in this press release are not promises or guarantees and are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause our actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. These statements are based on management's current expectations and assumptions and are naturally subject to uncertainty and changes in circumstances. We caution you not to place undue reliance upon any such forward-looking statements. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by the statements herein. CytoSorbents Corporation and CytoSorbents, Inc believe that its primary risk factors include, but are not limited to: obtaining government regulatory approvals; ability to successfully develop commercial operations; dependence on key personnel; acceptance of the Company's medical devices in the marketplace; the outcome of potential litigation; compliance with governmental regulations; reliance on research and testing facilities of various universities and institutions; the ability to obtain adequate and timely financing in the future when needed; product liability risks; limited manufacturing experience; limited marketing, sales and distribution experience; market acceptance of the Company's products; competition; unexpected changes in technologies and technological advances; and other factors detailed in the Company's Form 10-K filed with the SEC on April 3, 2013, which is available at http://www.sec.gov.
Dr. Phillip Chan
Chief Executive Officer
(732) 329-8885 ext. *823
Alliance Advisors, LLC
(914) 669-0222 x201
SOURCE CytoSorbents Corporation