DataStax Launches DataStax Enterprise
On the Heels of Securing $11M Funding, DataStax Releases the Industry's First Distributed, Scalable, and Highly-Available Database Platform Powered by Apache Cassandra™
BURLINGAME, Calif., Sept. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- NEW YORK O'REILLY STRATA SUMMIT -- Today, DataStax, the commercial leader in Apache Cassandra™, announced DataStax Enterprise at the O'Reilly Strata Summit in New York. The new offering is the first enterprise solution of its kind that allows the management of both real-time and analytic workloads, all from a single, distributed, scalable, and highly-available database platform. The company today also announced DataStax Community Edition, which will be available free of charge and makes getting started with Cassandra fast and easy.
DataStax Enterprise addresses the information processing demands of today's data-driven enterprise, leveraging the powerful features of Cassandra to provide ease-of-use, performance enhancements, and cost savings that to date have been impossible to achieve with traditional database management solutions. It delivers optimal performance for both real-time and analytic workloads, either on-premise or in the cloud. DataStax Enterprise includes an enterprise version of DataStax OpsCenter, which is a visual, browser-based management solution used to manage, monitor, and control Cassandra-based database clusters from a single console. It also provides the expert production support and consultative services required for mission-critical applications.
"These offerings are the next logical step in delivering the power of Apache Cassandra to the enterprise. We listened to our customers describe the limitations they experienced with legacy databases, and set out to address these very real business challenges," said Billy Bosworth , CEO, DataStax. "DataStax Enterprise will enable data-driven businesses to easily build massively-scalable and highly-available applications for real-time, online systems. Now, for the first time, businesses can easily manage both real-time and analytic data in a simple, integrated solution that delivers maximum uptime, optimal performance, and significant cost savings. "
DataStax Enterprise solves the problems many companies encounter when trying to manage real-time and analytic data, including:
- Providing the ability to use a single, scalable database for both real-time and analytic data, which removes the need for complex ETL processes and other time-consuming data movement operations
- Integrating Hadoop, Hive, and Pig support for analytics that supplies fault tolerance for Hadoop as well as faster performance than the standard Apache release of Hadoop
- Delivering smart workload separation so that real-time and analytic tasks do not compete for data or compute resources with each other supplying dynamic and flexible schemas that overcome the rigid limitations found in legacy RDBMS's
Examples of Cassandra use cases include:
- Constant Contact's Social Media feature uses Cassandra and helped the company deploy the app in three months for $250K, compared to nine months for $2.5 million - the cost associated with a traditional RDBMS
- Cisco's WebEx is using Cassandra to store User Feed & User Activity data
- HP stores playlists, play counts, favorites, and other content relating to online music streaming from computers and smart phones using Cassandra
- Agentis Energy uses Cassandra to help control energy management tools
- Ngmoco stores user information and gaming achievements in Cassandra
- Adform uses Cassandra to help power its digital advertising platform
DataStax remains closely allied with the Apache Cassandra project, and continues to contribute major, innovative enhancements back into Cassandra. DataStax also remains the primary source of product documentation for Cassandra, maintains the Cassandra developer center, manages PlanetCassandra.com, and offers professional training courses for Cassandra.
DataStax will also provide DataStax Community Edition, a free platform based on Apache Cassandra that bundles the open source database with smart installers, drivers and connectors for popular development languages, demo apps, documentation, and a free version of DataStax OpsCenter for Apache Cassandra. "While DataStax is moving to the next level with our product offerings, we continue to strongly support the open source community around Cassandra, which our business is founded on," said Bosworth.
DataStax is the developer of DataStax Enterprise, a distributed, scalable, and highly-available database platform that delivers optimal performance either on premise or in the cloud for modern enterprise applications that manage both real-time and analytic workloads. The company has over 100 customers, including leaders such as Netflix, Cisco, Rackspace and Constant Contact, and spanning verticals including web, financial services, telecommunications, logistics and government. DataStax is backed by industry leading investors, including Lightspeed Venture Partners and Crosslink Capital and is based in Burlingame, CA with offices in Austin, TX and Stamford, CT. For more information, visit www.datastax.com.
About Apache Cassandra™
Apache Cassandra™ is an open source distributed database management system. It is designed to store and allow very low-latency access to very large amounts of data spread out across many commodity servers while providing a highly-available service with no single point of failure. This next-generation data platform evolved from work at Google, Amazon and Facebook, and is an Apache Software Foundation top-level project. For more information, visit http://cassandra.apache.org/.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.