DETROIT, July 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The Detroit College Access Network (DCAN) is committed to making sure Detroit youth interested in attending college this fall have the assistance they need to complete the necessary steps to enroll in college. With the support of one-on-one counselors, DCAN and university partners will be available at four College Transition Centers to support students with the sometimes daunting tasks of completing applications, financial aid documents, and other college forms that are required to enroll in most programs.
"Each year, more than 30 percent of college-bound high school graduates experience what is called 'Summer Melt,' where they have every intention of attending college, but then experience some type of enrollment barrier that keeps them from successfully enrolling in the fall," said Dr. Ashley Johnson, Director of Collective Impact at Excellent Schools Detroit. "As a community, we are committed to seeing as many Detroit students as possible overcome these barriers so their dreams of attending college don't slip away with summer."
College Transition Counselors will assist local students as well as adult learners, who are interested in applying to college, with the following services:
- Completing enrollment/application documents, housing documents, and/or medical forms
- Checking on financial aid status and obtaining necessary tax-verification documents as needed
- Registering for college orientation and classes
- Scheduling placement tests and/or academic advising
- Understanding tuition bills and payment plans
"Each of our counselors will be able to utilize an online software tool and text messaging platform Bridgit2College, to support students with the more than 50 tasks associated with enrolling in college," Johnson said. "Even for the most organized student such a huge number of tasks can be overwhelming, so our goal is to help as many Detroit students as possible overcome the challenges they face in enrolling in a full-time post-secondary program."
Sites will open this week through mid-August at the following locations:
- University of Michigan-Detroit Center, 3663 Woodward Ave, Suite 150, Detroit, MI 48201.
- Wayne State University- Educational Opportunity Center, 5700 Cass, Room 2701 Detroit, Michigan 48202.
- Summer Melt College Transition Center @ Matrix Center, 12560 E. McNichols Road, Detroit, 48205.
- Summer Melt College Transition Center @ Northwest Activity, 18100 Meyers Road, Detroit, 48235.
Students and/or service providers working with families with general questions can call 888-308-1534 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit DetroitCan.org to learn about College Transition Center hours. For more information on DCAN or to support these efforts, visit Detroitcan.org or contact Dr. Ashley Johnson at 313.285.9156 ext. 11 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dcan-offers-summertime-college-transition-centers-to-help-local-students-successfully-transition-to-college-300296469.html
SOURCE Detroit College Access Network