BURLINGTON, Mass., June 7, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that U.S. physicians are struggling to keep up with a fast-changing healthcare system. New goals reflect the shift toward qualitative remuneration are a particular sore spot – 43% of physicians agree that "my organization is struggling to understand and meet goals of value and quality," such as hospital readmissions, cost per patient and patient outcomes, according to DRG's Taking the Pulse® U.S. 2016 study of 2,994 U.S. physicians.
Other key findings from the Taking the Pulse® U.S. 2016 study:
- 13% of physicians conduct virtual patient consults, and those physicians visit pharma websites more frequently than do physicians overall, but few use pharma websites to support virtual consults, highlighting a missed opportunity for pharma;
- 82% of physicians now use EHRs between patient consults, while just 27% use pharma websites between consults. While physicians are largely agnostic on information sources, the gravitational pull of EHR systems can only grow, making it critical that pharmas find ways to partner with EHR vendors.
- 85% of physicians are open to accessing sponsored content from pharma through online journals or websites for healthcare professionals.
Comments from Decision Resources Group Analyst Kelly Pinola:
- "In the current healthcare landscape, physicians are struggling to support their patients, manage multiple data streams and meet daunting new performance goals. This opens up a range of opportunities to support physicians in their daily workflow. Pharma companies have a unique opportunity during this time of change to build positive brand equity among these physicians."
- "Today, building partnerships with physicians requires more than quality content. Pharmas need to weave that content seamlessly into the busy physician's workstream. With physicians accessing information through EHR more than ever before, it's essential that pharma's find ways to work with EHR vendors to support physicians as treatment decisions are being made."
- Digital Healthcare Analyst Kelly Pinola authored a blog post on the subject here.
About Decision Resources Group
DRG offers best-in-class, high-value data, analytics and insights products and services to the healthcare industry, delivered by more than 1000 employees across 17 offices in North America, Europe and Asia. DRG provides the Life Sciences, Provider, Payer and Financial Services industries the data, tools, insights and advice they need to compete and thrive in an increasingly complex and value-based marketplace. decisionresourcesgroup.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/decision-resources-group-study-finds-forty-three-percent-of-us-physicians-struggle-to-keep-up-with-changing-healthcare-system-300280945.html
SOURCE Decision Resources Group