Decision Resources to Publish Reports Assessing Unmet Need and Commercial Opportunities in the Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases Drug Markets
BURLINGTON, Mass., Dec. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources, one of the world's leading research and advisory firms for pharmaceutical and healthcare issues, will soon publish analysis of unmet need and commercial opportunities for developers of drugs that treat cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.
Some of the key findings in these reports include the following:
- Surveyed U.S. and European primary care physicians agree that increased weight-loss efficacy is one of the attributes that most influences their decisions regarding prescribing in obesity. Clinical data and the opinions of interviewed thought leaders indicate that phentermine (UCB's Ionamin, generics), Vivus's Qsymia, Orexigen/Takeda's Contrave, Novo Nordisk's Victoza and Zafgen's beloranib have advantages on this attribute over sales-leading orlistat (Roche's Xenical, generics; GlaxoSmithKline's Alli).
- Surveyed U.S. and European pulmonologists agree that improved long-term survival is one of the attributes that most influences their decisions regarding prescribing in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Clinical data and the opinions of interviewed thought leaders indicate that Actelion/Nippon Shinyaku's Opsumit has advantages on this attribute over sales-leading Actelion's Tracleer.
- The availability of generic metformin and sulfonylureas for the treatment of type 2 diabetes will continue to have a substantial influence on physicians' prescribing and payers' formulary coverage. The struggles of managed care organizations (MCOs) to contain healthcare costs often lead them to encourage use of generics in early lines of therapy. New classes of antidiabetic agents face considerable reimbursement hurdles, particularly if they are expensive. Emerging therapies that are reformulations of already-available molecules, with limited advantages beyond delivery, will likely face significant market access hurdles and stiff MCO resistance to formulary inclusion, if priced at a premium to their parent molecules.
These findings can be found in the following reports which will publish in the days ahead:
- Obesity: What Key Attributes Will Drive Formulary Inclusion and Prescribing of Current and Emerging Agents?
- What Key Attributes Will Drive Pulmonologists to Prescribe and Payers to Reimburse Novel PAH Agents?
- Novel SGLT-2 Inhibitors, Next-Generation Once-Weekly GLP-1 Receptor Agonists, and New Insulins Appear on the Horizon for Type 2 Diabetes: What Market Access Challenges Will These New Therapies Face?
About Decision Resources
Decision Resources (www.decisionresources.com) is a world leader in market research publications, advisory services and consulting designed to help clients shape strategy, allocate resources and master their chosen markets. Decision Resources is a Decision Resources Group company.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group is a cohesive portfolio of companies that offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on important sectors of the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Please visit Decision Resources Group at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or
registered trademarks of their respective holders.
SOURCE Decision Resources