DETROIT, Oct. 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Delaware North Companies Sportservice is serving up new food and retail items, as well as popular, local regular-season fare, for the World Series games in Detroit. Sportservice provided all of the concessions for the 2011 World Series, serving food and beverages to fans in Texas, and concessions and retail to fans in St. Louis.
Sportservice has bolstered its retail and concessions teams to anticipate demand, adding 8 executive chefs, 26 managers and 50 in-seat vendors. One hundred and seventy five in-seat vendors will serve fans during the World Series games in Detroit, an average of two vendors per aisle, bringing food to fans in seats quicker.
The concessions contract with the Detroit Tigers was Sportservice's first. Dating back to 1930, it is now the company's longest-running contract. "It has been an honor to serve Detroit fans for over 80 years, and equally an honor to work with Mike Ilitch and the Ilitch family," said Rick Abramson, president of Delaware North Companies Sportservice. "We are extremely proud of the Tigers and of every employee who is helping us to create a special experience for our guests."
Sportservice has been using products from Detroit's Brown's Bun Baking Company since the 1930s. Originally known as Hygrade, the Detroit-originated Ball Park brand of hot dogs has been used at Comerica Park since the 1950s.
New menu items for the 2012 World Series include:
- In honor of Detroit third baseman, Miguel Cabrera, The Triple Crown Burger will be served in the 313 Burgers concession stand. The Triple Crown Burger consists of three fresh, hand-made quarter-pound patties, stacked on top of each other with melted cheese. It is served with fries.
- Gourmet hot chocolate with one free refill is available at the hot chocolate bar in the suites and clubs. Sportservice chefs hand-melt bricks of white chocolate and milk chocolate for a variety of flavors. It is served in a souvenir Detroit Tigers cup.
- Hot chocolate is served with fresh one-percent Prairie Farms chocolate milk in the concourse.
- The daiquiri-stand in section 140 has been converted into five auto-fill hot chocolate machines to keep up with demand.
- An expanded menu is featured at The Tiger club buffet.
- A chef-created custom menu can be purchased with retail items in the suites. Menu items include pan-seared crab cakes, lamb chops, prime rib, and pumpkin cheesecake.
- A wide variety of products featuring the World Series logo, dueling team logos, and Detroit Tigers logo are available. The hooded sweatshirts worn by the Tigers team is also a popular, exclusive item.
- At the Brushfire grill, guests can enjoy the triple-smoked sandwich. It's a barbeque sandwich topped high with smoke brisket, pulled pork and smoked turkey. Served on a pretzel role with a side of homemade BBQ kettle chips.
- Also at the Brushfire Grill - Grilled Bavarian pretzel sticks. Three Bavarian pretzel sticks, grilled on a charcoal grill and topped with your choice of parmesan cheese or salt, served with a side of our secret Wisconsin beer cheese.
- In the Michigan craft beer section, guests will find grilled cheese dippers. An assortment of gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, made with Michigan cheeses, then cut into strips and served with a side of homemade tomato soup.
Fan favorites for the 2012 season are also available at new The "D" Shop at Comerica Park. Popular items include Made in Michigan branded items, dresses and cardigans featuring the Tigers' logo, Tigers-branded toasters, and Justin Verlander, Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera toy figurines.
Popular concession items include an array of vegetarian and vegan food items, including vegetarian riblet sandwiches, black bean burgers, garden burgers, veggie Italian sausages, and cotton candy. Comerica Park has been honored by PETA in 2012 and 2011 for its selection vegetarian menu items. Gluten-free items include Mediterranean tapas, hummus tasting plates, and RedBridge beer. Comerica Park also features healthy food items, such as seasonal fruit platters.
About Delaware North Companies Sportservice
Delaware North Companies Sportservice is one of the nation's leading food, beverage and retail management companies. Sportservice provides concessions, gourmet catering and fine dining operations at more than 50 professional sporting venues, entertainment complexes and convention centers across the United States and Canada. Sportservice is the provider of choice for an impressive client roster, including the World Series, the National Hockey League and Major League Baseball's All-Star games, Stanley Cup Championships and the Olympic Games. For more than 90 years, Sportservice has demonstrated that it knows what it takes to effectively develop, operate and manage multi-faceted kitchens, restaurants, suites, fine dining and retail facilities in order to meet the changing demands of today's fans. From introducing new healthy, organic food selections and creative cuisine for twists on the traditional fare, Sportservice continues to innovate and enhance the fan experience. For more information, visit www.DelawareNorth.com.
About Delaware North Companies
Delaware North Companies is one of the largest and most admired privately held hospitality companies in the world. Founded and owned by the Jacobs family for nearly 100 years, it is a global leader in hospitality and food service. Its family of companies includes Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts, Delaware North Companies Gaming & Entertainment, Delaware North Companies Travel Hospitality Services, Delaware North Companies Sportservice, Delaware North Companies International and Delaware North Companies Boston, owner of TD Garden. Delaware North Companies has revenue exceeding $2.6 billion annually and 55,000 associates serving half a billion customers in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. For more information, visit www.DelawareNorth.com.
SOURCE Delaware North Companies