CHICAGO, March 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With diabetes reaching epidemic proportions across the United States, today Deloitte announced that it would join the American Diabetes Association of Illinois in its "Venture to Stop Diabetes Challenge," a competition that seeks to find community-based innovators, entrepreneurs and others offering new solutions to address diabetes management, care and education. Six finalists from across the nation have been selected for their innovative proposals to the Challenge and will compete for the grand prize at the American Diabetes Association EXPO on Saturday, April 9 in Chicago.
The "Venture to Stop Diabetes Challenge" aims to uncover new strategies and technology that address the problems facing the diabetes community today. Analysis of recent field research helped identify five major problem statements and opportunities that Venture Challenge participants were encouraged to address: 1) Encouraging healthy lifestyle choices specifically for those diagnosed or at risk for diabetes; 2) Offering culturally-competent resources to address diabetes rates in minority communities, including African-American, Hispanic/Latino, and South Asian neighborhoods; 3) Integrating diabetes management activities, including nutrition and support, to ensure a holistic, efficient approach; 4) Ensuring access to and education about healthy options and better nutrition in underserved communities where "food deserts" and high diabetes rates exist; and 5) Creating easy-to-use messaging for families on what to do during emergency situations, including hypoglycemia and diabetic ketoacidosis.
"At Deloitte, we understand the importance of innovation in addressing public health issues and are committed to helping those impacted by diabetes and other chronic diseases. One example is our investment in innovative cognitive technologies that transform patient engagement and chronic disease care management," said Rajeev Ronanki, principal and lead of Deloitte Consulting LLP's cognitive computing and health care innovation practices. "We are proud to work with the American Diabetes Association of Illinois, in conjunction with the broader Chicagoland community, in identifying unique solutions for the diabetes epidemic. We look forward to helping replicate the success of programs like the 'Venture to Stop Diabetes Challenge' nationwide."
Earlier this year, numerous organizations, ranging from healthcare incubators and startups to medical device companies, submitted proposals for the "Venture to Stop Diabetes Challenge." On March 1, the field was narrowed down to six finalist proposals, all of which address the five critical areas related to diabetes care and management.
The finalists include:
- 4D Healthware – 4D Healthware developed a platform that integrates patient medical history and data from wearable devices to help patients and care givers manage chronic diseases.
- Admetsys – Admetsys has developed the first artificial pancreas system specifically for the needs of hospital and surgical care.
- Benecure – Benecure has created a platform that helps users manage chronic diseases using smart devices and gamification.
- HabitNu – HabitNu is an innovative smartphone or tablet based 16-week program that provides a unique, engaging, culturally sensitive and scalable diabetes prevention and management service.
- POPS! Diabetes Care – POPS! Diabetes Care is developing a new care model for diabetics through new mobile healthcare technology.
- Vital Simulations – Vital Simulations is a health care education and software development company which creates online accelerated learning simulations to assess and validate skills, knowledge and decision-making in a safe environment that is applicable for use in professional education and health system workforce development.
Deloitte provides industry-leading audit, consulting, tax and advisory services to many of the world's most admired brands, including 80 percent of the Fortune 500. Our people work across more than 20 industry sectors to deliver measurable and lasting results that help reinforce public trust in our capital markets, inspire clients to make their most challenging business decisions with confidence, and help lead the way toward a stronger economy and a healthy society.
As used in this document, "Deloitte" means Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/deloitte-joins-with-american-diabetes-association-of-illinois-on-venture-to-stop-diabetes-challenge-in-chicago-300242445.html