ATLANTA, May 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Community Credit Union (www.DeltaCommunityCU.com), Georgia's largest credit union with more than $5 billion in assets and more than 336,000 members, recently awarded eight metro Atlanta students with $200 Sandy Savers Savings Accounts after they submitted winning entries in its Youth Month Essay Contest.
"Credit unions across the country celebrated National Credit Union Youth Month in April," said Delta Community Marketing AVP Kem Henderson. "Our essay contest leveraged the national theme, 'Credit Union Strong' to inspire conversations about the importance of spending wisely and saving money for the things that are important to them."
Delta Community held an essay contest at eight of its established Partners in Education (PIE) schools asking students to explain how saving money helps them prepare for a strong financial future.
"We received hundreds of thoughtful, creative entries, showing that even very young children are already thinking about long-term financial goals," said Henderson. "As a company that is committed to financial literacy and education, we are especially delighted with the insight of these eight students."
- Nine year old Elijah Bailey, who attends Marietta's Dowell Elementary School, said saving money helps him prepare for a strong financial future because the earned interest adds up to even more money than he could save himself.
- Fifth grader Neveah Bradley, at Peachtree City Elementary School, aspires to own a fashion design business. She understands that if she starts saving money now, "By the time I graduate college I will already have a huge jump start on seeing my dreams come true."
- Nine year old Zariah Cowherd, who attends Atlanta's Hope-Hill Elementary School, said a savings account is important to establishing good credit and will also help her learn money management.
- Libby Fisher, a student at The Museum School in Decatur, quoted Ben Franklin in her essay. "A penny saved is a penny earned," wrote Libby, who went on to list the benefits of interest-bearing accounts.
- Varshini Kalaru, a fifth grader at Atlanta's Woodland Elementary School, said saving money helps cover immediate emergencies as well as expenses in the future. "If you start (saving for) retirement now you will have to save less in the future," said Varshini. "Also, you have to save for your own child's education."
- In Cobb County, East Side Elementary School's Presley Marsh said saving money enables you to be prepared to take advantage of good opportunities. "Life is like a chain of dominoes. Not saving money may cause all the dominoes to fall. Falling dominoes will prevent you from having a strong financial future."
- Nine year old Nick Mertz, a fourth grader at Eagle's Landing Christian Academy in McDonough, said saving money helps him prepare for a strong financial future by helping pay for college, earn a degree and get a good job.
- Third grader Kadin Mullin, at Cobb County's Brumby Elementary, is also looking to the future. "Saving money helps me prepare for a strong financial future by making sure my dreams can be achieved," said Kadin. "My parents will help me buy a car, and saving money will allow me to contribute."
In addition to celebrating Youth Month, Delta Community provides an array of workshops and educational materials to young members through partnerships with schools, an annual scholarship program, a Philanthropic Fund grant-making program and Youth Savings Accounts and credit card products specifically tailored to meet the unique needs of young adults.
About Delta Community Credit Union
Delta Community Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative with a mission of providing consumers better service and value on the deposit, loan, investment and insurance products they use to manage their household expenses and save for the future. Delta Community was founded in 1940 and has become Georgia's largest credit union with more than $5 billion in assets and 26 branch locations. The Credit Union now welcomes residents of 11 metro Atlanta counties and employees of more than 150 businesses, including Chick-fil-A, Delta Air Lines, RaceTrac and UPS. Visit www.DeltaCommunityCU.com to learn more about opening an account at Delta Community or follow the Credit Union www.facebook.com/DeltaCommunity and @DeltaCommunity.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delta-community-announces-winners-of-youth-month-essay-contest-300264394.html
SOURCE Delta Community Credit Union