Delta highlights 100 accomplishments toward improved sustainability in 2013 Corporate Responsibility Report
ATLANTA, April 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines' (NYSE: DAL) 2013 Corporate Responsibility Report details 100 initiatives completed or initiated last year to improve sustainability, highlighting the airline's environmental commitment, community involvement, employee relations, operational accountability and financial performance throughout last year.
"At Delta we recognize that our commitment and responsibility extends well beyond our customers to being good global corporate citizens," said John Laughter, Delta's senior vice president – Corporate Safety, Security and Compliance. "So we are focused on long-term, strategic decisions that build and maintain a sustainable enterprise for our employees, customers, shareholders and the communities we serve."
Delta's 2013 Corporate Responsibility Report can be accessed online at delta.com/responsibility and features an introductory letter from Delta's CEO Richard Anderson.
Significant accomplishments in the 2013 report include:
- Introducing the first of 100 Boeing 737-900ERs which are expected to burn a quarter less fuel than the aircraft they replace
- Reducing billed water consumption by 10 percent and improving our estimate of customer and employee water consumption at airport facilities
- Continuing a tradition of support for a wide variety of charitable organizations, including the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, the American Red Cross and The Nature Conservancy
- Providing more than 60,000 Delta employees (as of January 2014) with better tools for identifying and reporting suspected instances of human trafficking through the Department of Homeland Security's Blue Lightning training program
- Reducing Delta's employee injury rate by 11 percent relative to 2012 levels
- Rewarding the efforts of Delta employees with more than $500 million in profit sharing and $91.7 million in bonuses for meeting operational goals
- Delivering top operational performance with 99.7 percent completion factor and 84.5 percent on-time arrival
- Reporting a $2.7 billion profit for the year, an all-time record for the airline industry
The 2013 report also highlights the airline's continued focus on fleet renewal, air traffic initiatives, airport and facility green practices and its robust recycling program both in the air and on the ground among other initiatives. Additionally, Delta has successfully verified its complete greenhouse gas emissions inventory under The Climate Registry and has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North American Index three years in a row.
Delta Air Lines serves nearly 165 million customers each year. This year, Delta was named the 2014 Airline of the Year by Air Transport World magazine and was named to FORTUNE magazine's top 50 Most Admired Companies in addition to being named the most admired airline for the third time in four years. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 319 destinations in 57 countries on six continents. Headquartered in Atlanta, Delta employs nearly 80,000 employees worldwide and operates a mainline fleet of more than 700 aircraft. The airline is a founding member of the SkyTeam global alliance and participates in the industry's leading trans-Atlantic joint venture with Air France-KLM and Alitalia as well as a newly formed joint venture with Virgin Atlantic. Including its worldwide alliance partners, Delta offers customers more than 15,000 daily flights, with hubs in Amsterdam, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York-JFK, New York-LaGuardia, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City and Tokyo-Narita. Delta has invested billions of dollars in airport facilities, global products, services and technology to enhance the customer experience in the air and on the ground. Additional information is available on delta.com, Twitter @Delta, Google.com/+Delta, Facebook.com/delta and Delta's blog takingoff.delta.com.
SOURCE Delta Air Lines