Delta Releases 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report
Report highlights airline's environmental, social and financial performance
ATLANTA, April 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) has released its 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report, which details the airline's environmental, employee, community, safety and financial performance throughout last year.
"We made great progress as an airline in 2012, continuing our work to build a business model that will improve Delta's sustainability for the benefit of our customers, employees and shareholders for many years to come," said Delta CEO Richard Anderson. "At Delta, we believe that transparency goes hand in hand with sustainability."
Delta's annual Corporate Responsibility Report can be accessed online at delta.com/responsibility.
Significant accomplishments in the 2012 report include:
- Reducing annual aircraft greenhouse gas emissions by 8.4 million metric tons since 2005, an 18.5 percent decrease.
- Successfully verifying Delta's greenhouse gas emissions from 2005 to 2011 through The Climate Registry, a nonprofit organization with established standards for calculating, verifying and publicly reporting carbon footprints.
- Rewarding the efforts of Delta employees with $372 million in profit sharing and $91 million in bonuses for meeting operational goals.
- Reducing the number of 50-seat regional jets the airline operates, replacing them with larger two-class aircraft that are far more fuel efficient.
- Purchasing an oil refinery expected to produce approximately $300 million in cost savings annually.
- Strengthening its global network through investments in GOL and Aeromexico, reaching an agreement to acquire an equity stake in Virgin Atlantic and deepening existing relationships with Alaska Airlines and Virgin Australia.
- Growing its award-winning in-flight recycling program to 29 cities equipped to participate – more than $380,000 has been donated to Habitat for Humanity and Delta's Employee and Retiree Care Fund for recycling rebates since 2007.
- Continuing a tradition of support for a wide variety of charitable organizations, including the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, the American Red Cross and The Nature Conservancy.
"The 2012 report reflects Delta's ongoing commitment to sustainability and transparency," said Helen Howes, Delta's managing director – Safety, Health and Environment. "We've addressed 11 additional Global Reporting Initiative indicators than in the 2011 report and completed external verification of our 2005-2011 greenhouse gas emissions."
Delta Air Lines serves more than 160 million customers each year. Delta was named by Fortune magazine as the most admired airline worldwide in its 2013 World's Most Admired Companies airline industry list, topping the list for the second time in three years. With an industry-leading global network, Delta and the Delta Connection carriers offer service to 313 destinations in 57 countries on six continents. Headquartered in Atlanta, Delta employs nearly 80,000 employees worldwide and operates a mainline fleet of more than 700 aircraft. The airline is a founding member of the SkyTeam global alliance and participates in the industry's leading trans-Atlantic joint venture with Air France-KLM and Alitalia. Including its worldwide alliance partners, Delta offers customers more than 15,000 daily flights, with hubs in Amsterdam, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York-LaGuardia, New York-JFK, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Salt Lake City and Tokyo-Narita. Delta is investing more than $3 billion in airport facilities and global products, services and technology to enhance the customer experience in the air and on the ground. Additional information is available on delta.com, Twitter @Delta, Google.com/+Delta and Facebook.com/delta.
SOURCE Delta Air Lines
More by this Source
Delta Air Lines Foundation Donates $50,000 to Indiana Nonprofit Organizations
Mar 10, 2014, 14:00 ET
Delta to Present at 2014 J.P. Morgan Aviation Transportation & Industrials Conference
Mar 06, 2014, 13:51 ET
Delta Publishes 2015 SkyMiles Program U.S. Award Chart
Mar 06, 2014, 12:14 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.