Department of Corrections Honors Volunteers for State Prison Work
HARRISBURG, Pa., Nov. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Department of Corrections recognized the contributions of 29 volunteers during the agency's annual banquet on Saturday, Nov. 3, celebrating those who give their time and talents to help meet prison inmates' educational, health and spiritual needs.
"Our volunteers truly epitomize the notion of 'proactive compassion,' donating thousands of hours of their own time specifically to impact the lives of our inmates," Corrections Secretary John Wetzel said. "As an organization, we laud them for their efforts and the positive impact they have on our facilities."
Wetzel served as keynote speaker at this year's banquet, held at the department's Elizabethtown Training Academy. He spoke about the important services that volunteers provide to inmates and how they offer inmates guidance and hope.
The 29 volunteers honored at this year's banquet were:
- Joseph Quinn, who shares a message of recovery with inmates at SCI Albion, Erie County.
- Ruben & Wanda Claudio, who lead Hispanic Protestant worship services for inmates at SCI Cambridge Springs, Crawford County.
- Donald Thomas Nelson, who leads Jehovah's Witnesses Bible studies at SCI Chester, Delaware County.
- Jonathan Fedako, who leads Jehovah's Witnesses services at SCI Coal Township, Northumberland County.
- Tom Haberkorn, who leads and facilitates the Vietnam Veterans of America and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) groups for inmates at SCI Cresson, Cambria County.
- Florence Hozempa, who serves through the Prison Christian Growth Group at SCI Dallas, Luzerne County.
- Dale Williamson, who leads Jehovah's Witnesses Bible studies at SCI Fayette, Fayette County.
- Frank Dellenger, who leads Walking Your Faith programs, and contributes to weekly Protestant worship services at SCI Frackville, Schuylkill County.
- Tina Liebman, who leads and coordinates the Walking Your Faith program at SCI Forest, Forest County.
- Anne Marie DiCesare, who leads and facilitates a Secular Franciscan study program at SCI Graterford, Montgomery County.
- Thomas G. Cumpston, who leads Jehovah's Witnesses Services at SCI Greene, Greene County.
- Sue B. Wiseman, who serves through Yokefellowship Prison Ministry, and leads Bible studies at SCI Greensburg, Westmoreland County.
- Angela Witherow, who leads and facilitates Al-Anon meetings for inmates at SCI Houtzdale, Clearfield County.
- George Vahoviak, who leads a 12-step Christian recovery program at SCI Huntingdon, Huntingdon County.
- Yasin Kucak, who leads weekly Islamic Introduction Classes at SCI Mahanoy, Schuylkill County.
- Lois Kilbert, who leads weekly Catholic Bible Study and Rosary group for inmates at SCI Mercer, Mercer County.
- Coralynn V. Davis, who leads and teaches "Women and the Penal System" at SCI Muncy, Lycoming County.
- Lynne Jones, who coordinates and directs the Catholic choir at SCI Pine Grove, Indiana County.
- Al Sievers, who leads Jehovah's Witnesses Bible studies at the Quehanna Boot Camp, Clearfield County.
- Michael P. Garrigan, who leads weekly Bible studies through the Gideons, International for inmates at SCI Retreat, Luzerne County.
- Dwight Freed, who leads and facilitates Walking Your Faith programs at SCI Rockview, Centre County.
- Christopher Maurer, who serves through the Prison Christian Growth Group at SCI Somerset, Somerset County.
- Pat Santoro, who leads the "With Hope and Encouragement Assurance Together Strong" program for inmates at SCI Waymart, Wayne County.
- Debra Germany, who directs the faith-based transitional program, Divine Intervention Ministries, for residents at Renewal, Inc., Allegheny County.
Also recognized at the banquet were four volunteers who lead Alcoholics Anonymous and/or Narcotics Anonymous meetings for inmates at SCI Camp Hill, Cumberland County; SCI Smithfield, Huntingdon County; SCI Laurel Highlands, Somerset County; and SCI Pittsburgh, Allegheny County. The volunteers were not named because of the anonymity of the program.
All the volunteers recognized at the banquet were presented with an attache bag, provided by Pennsylvania Correctional Industries, and a framed letter signed by Governor Tom Corbett and Secretary Wetzel.
Media contact: Susan McNaughton, 717-728-4025
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Corrections
More by this Source
Pennsylvania Corrections Officials Recognize Employee Award Recipients
May 08, 2013, 10:56 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.