HAMILTON, Bermuda, Nov. 17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Steeped in history and nestled in the heart of the Scottish Highlands is a recently refurbished heritage center for John Dewar & Sons' DEWAR'S® Aberfeldy Distillery.
Each year, thousands of visitors tour DEWAR'S Aberfeldy Distillery to learn more about the DEWAR'S® portfolio – and the care with which its award-winning blended Scotch has been produced since 1846. John Dewar and his two sons, John Alexander and Tommy, who began as small wine and spirits merchants laid the solid, sustainable foundation for what is now DEWAR'S, a top-selling global brand – part of the Bacardi family of brands.
The center features interactive displays, newly released historic memoirs and a café featuring a locally sourced menu. "It's not just about the quality of the food, but it's also about reducing our impact on the environment," says Charlotte Brown, General Manager, DEWAR'S Aberfeldy Distillery Visitor Centre. "Our cakes, our scones and our soup all are made here in Aberfeldy to lessen the impact of shipping goods far distances."
Innovations at DEWAR'S Aberfeldy Distillery are part of a broad scope of sustainability initiatives for John Dewar & Sons, producers of DEWAR'S® Blended Scotch whisky, WILLIAM LAWSON'S® Blended Scotch whisky and the single malt brands of ABERFELDY®, AULTMORE®, CRAIGELLACHIE®, THE DEVERON® and ROYAL BRACKLA®.
The heritage center also features a robust recycling program and fuel-efficient transportation.
"The explorer bus we sponsor is equipped to carry bicycles, giving visitors the option to hop on and off at various points – and travel about in a sustainable fashion." explains Brown.
As part of the Bacardi group of companies, John Dewar & Sons honors the spirit of sustainability with these benchmarks at its five malt distilleries:
- 34 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions since 2006
- 46 percent reduction in water use since 2009
- 30 percent reduction of waste to landfill since 2010
Since 2006, when Bacardi began tracking its global impact on the environment, it has reduced nonrenewable energy use by nearly 28 percent and decreased its greenhouse gas emissions from production by more than 28 percent. Building on current programs and efficiencies that reduce its environmental impacts, the Bacardi Limited "Good Spirited" sustainability program sets specific goals in three areas to help reach its vision of a net zero impact:
- Responsible Sourcing: Bacardi strives to obtain all raw materials and packaging from sustainably sourced, renewable or recycled materials while maintaining or enhancing the economic status of growers and suppliers. By 2017, the goal is to obtain 40 percent of the sugarcane-derived products used to make its rum from certified, sustainable sources – and 100 percent by 2022. This pledge from Bacardi is an industry first.
- Global Packaging: Bacardi commits to use eco-design to craft sustainability into its brand packaging and point-of-sale materials. By 2017, Bacardi plans to reduce the weight of its packaging by 10 percent and achieve 15 percent by 2022.
- Operational Efficiencies: Bacardi continues to focus on reducing water use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions with a 2017 goal to cut water use by 55 percent and GHG emissions by 50 percent. In addition, Bacardi aims to eliminate landfill waste at all of its production sites by 2022.
To learn more about Bacardi Limited and its "Good Spirited: Building a Sustainable Future" environmental initiative for sourcing, packaging and operational efficiencies across the entire Bacardi family of premium spirits and wine brands, visit http://www.bacardilimited.com/good-spirited.
About John Dewar & Sons Ltd.
John Dewar & Sons Ltd. employs 300 people at seven locations throughout Scotland. The Company currently operates whisky distilleries in Aberfeldy, Macduff, Aultmore, Craigellachie and Nairn with ageing, blending, bottling and packaging facilities in Glasgow and additional maturation facilities in Poniel in Central Scotland.
DEWAR'S® Blended Scotch whisky, the world's most-awarded blended Scotch; WILLIAM LAWSON'S® Blended Scotch whisky, the world's second fastest growing Scotch; and the single malt brands of ABERFELDY®, AULTMORE®, CRAIGELLACHIE®, THE DEVERON® and ROYAL BRACKLA® are part of the portfolio of Bacardi Limited, headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda.
About Bacardi Limited
Bacardi Limited, the largest privately held spirits company in the world, produces and markets internationally recognized spirits and wines. The Bacardi brand portfolio comprises more than 200 brands and labels, including BACARDÍ® rum, GREY GOOSE® vodka, DEWAR'S® Blended Scotch whisky, BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin, MARTINI® vermouth and sparkling wines, CAZADORES® 100% blue agave tequila, and other leading and emerging brands including WILLIAM LAWSON'S® Blended Scotch whisky, ERISTOFF® vodka, and ST-GERMAIN® elderflower liqueur.
Founded 153 years ago in Santiago de Cuba on February 4, 1862, family-owned Bacardi manufactures its brands at 29 facilities and sells in more than 160 countries. Bacardi Limited refers to the Bacardi group of companies, including Bacardi International Limited. www.BacardiLimited.com
Amy Federman, +1.441.294.1110, email@example.com
© 2015 BACARDI
BACARDI, THE BAT DEVICE AND OTHER MARKS APPEARING ON THE BACARDI GROUP PRODUCTS SHOWN AND/OR QUOTED IN THIS VIDEO NEWS RELEASE ARE TRADEMARKS OF BACARDI & COMPANY LIMITED OR OF OTHER SUBSIDIARIES OF BACARDI LIMITED.
SOURCE Bacardi Limited