The campaign centers on the insight that every human body contains 0.2 milligrams of gold, and campaign elements tell the story of the grit of seven U.S. Olympians, Paralympians and hopefuls as they attempt to dig out their own gold. It will debut on broadcast TV on NBC on Friday, August 5 during the Opening Ceremony and will also come to life through digital and social executions, including #goldinUS.
"When we first heard the stat that gold is naturally found in the human body, we knew there was a special story to tell," said Lauren Hobart, Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer, DICK'S Sporting Goods. "The athletes featured in this spot showcase the strength and determination it takes to tap into the gold found within us all. All of us at DICK'S have been honored to support Team USA athletes on their quest for gold."
The DICK'S Contenders program has employed more than 200 Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls, providing flexible work schedules and competitive pay at over 100 stores in 34 states. To date, 31 athletes in the DICK'S in-store employment program - representing 15% of the total participation - have qualified for Team USA. Athletes featured in DICK'S latest 60-second commercial include:
- Kerri Walsh-Jennings (Beach Volleyball) – A beach volleyball and U.S. Olympic icon, Walsh Jennings heads to Rio this Summer in hopes of winning her fourth-straight Olympic gold medal.
- Claressa Shields (Boxing) – Shields became the first American woman to win gold in boxing at the London 2012 Olympic Games at the age of 17. This summer, the 21-year-old looks to defend her title in Rio.
- Daryl Homer (Fencing) – Homer heads to Rio this summer ranked as the number one American fencer. He looks to land on the podium this time around after finishing sixth at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Danell Leyva (Gymnastics) – Leyva was a bronze medalist in the men's individual all-around competition at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Lex Gillette (Paralympic Long Jump) – Gillette is a three-time Paralympic silver medalist and the current world record holder in Paralympic long jump. He has qualified for his fourth Paralympic Games where he looks to bring home gold for the first time.
- Laura Ryan (Diving) – Ryan works at a Georgia DICK'S Sporting Goods while she trains to represent Team USA. Despite falling short at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials this year, the 23-year-old University of Georgia graduate, who has won several collegiate and national titles, plans to continue training and competing in hopes of making Team USA in 2020.
- Kristin Smith (Hammer Throw) – Smith is a former SEC Champion thrower and NCAA All-American during her time at the University of Kentucky. The 28-year-old works in an Alabama DICK'S Sporting Goods while she trains to represent Team USA. She did not qualify for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team, but hopes to make the team in 2020.
EVERY MEDAL MATTERS EVEN MORE AS TEAM USA COMPETES IN RIO
To supplement the support that DICK'S is providing to this current group of more than 200 Contenders, The DICK'S Sporting Goods Foundation is also committed to supporting the next generation of Contenders.
For every Olympic and Paralympic Games medal that Team USA wins in Rio, the DICK'S Foundation will donate $1,000 to select youth sports organizations that are part of the USOC family to ensure future Contenders are able to play the sports they love. Four organizations have been selected by DICK'S Sporting Goods Contenders to benefit equally from the total amount of money raised through the Olympic and Paralympic Games – USA Diving, Fencers Club, United States Association of Blind Athletes and Ability 360.
"Providing support for future Contenders is something that fully aligns with our brand beliefs around youth sports," said Hobart, who also serves as President of The DICK'S Sporting Goods Foundation. "Since its inception in 2014, our Foundation's Sports Matter program has provided a platform to address the youth sports funding crisis. We're honored to be able to support these four youth athletic organizations through the Every Medal program."
To house all of this content, and to serve as an online home for the Contenders program, DICK'S launched dicks.com/TheContenders. This website will continue to provide fans with profiles of the Team USA Contenders, updates on their Olympic and Paralympic Games journey and track the donation amount to the various, benefiting youth sports organizations.
About DICK'S Sporting Goods
Founded in 1948, DICK'S Sporting Goods, Inc. is a leading omni-channel sporting goods retailer offering an extensive assortment of authentic, high-quality sports equipment, apparel, footwear and accessories. As of April 30, 2016, the Company operated more than 645 DICK'S Sporting Goods locations, serving and inspiring athletes and outdoor enthusiasts to achieve their personal best through a blend of dedicated associates, in-store services and unique specialty shop-in-shops. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, DICK'S also owns and operates Golf Galaxy, Field & Stream, True Runner and Chelsea Collective specialty stores. For more information, visit the Press Room at DICKS.com.
Contact DICK'S Sporting Goods: email@example.com
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160524/371833LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dicks-sporting-goods-debuts-new-team-usa-campaign-gold-in-us-for-2016-olympic-and-paralympic-games-300309283.html
SOURCE DICK'S Sporting Goods