Dictionary.com Supercharges e-Learning with Word Dynamo Blended Online/Mobile Experience Personalizes Test Prep with Gaming
OAKLAND, Calif., Sept. 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Dictionary.com (www.dictionary.com), the preferred online and mobile dictionary for students of all ages, announced the release of Word Dynamo (www.worddynamo.com), an online and mobile learning experience that combines the engagement of gaming with proven study techniques. As today's digitally-minded students and teachers gear up for fall 2011, they can access Word Dynamo for free through the web, and shortly through mobile devices and tablets.
Signaling the company's immersion in the e-learning market, Dictionary.com's Word Dynamo enables students to grow their command of language at their own pace, complete homework faster, and improve test scores along with overall academic performance.
"The upcoming generation's growing desire to directly relate learning to life has left students and teachers alike frustrated at the disconnect between a vibrant digital world and an analogue classroom," said Shravan Goli, President, Dictionary.com. "Word Dynamo makes learning engaging, entertaining, and relevant to today's digitally-minded academics."
Dictionary.com drew from 15 years of user patterns, based on trillions of visits, to create a product that empowers students with a personalized experience that fully leverages the digital environment they've grown up with. Available today, Word Dynamo lets students take full control of their education with tailored study programs they can access anywhere, anytime through features such as:
- An authoritative, game-based assessment that provides an estimate of each player's vocabulary size and skill level based on the Dictionary.com Word Difficulty Index, which maps each term on Dictionary.com to a level of difficulty
- Sequenced challenges that offer 20 levels of skill-building word games, as well as organized sets for subject-focused learning
- Fun memory games, practice sessions, and timed quizzes that allow users to follow personalized study guides at their own pace
- A study dashboard that allows students to track their learning level, monitor progress, create their own word lists to review, and more
- A "Library of Lessons" with access to more than 100,000 editorially recommended study guides created by teaching experts
Word Dynamo, according to Goli, is a milestone in Dictionary.com's ongoing mission to redefine the learning experience with resources that evolve with students to become a natural extension of their preferences, habits and personalities.
Word Dynamo now joins Dictionary.com's latest learning features, including the Spanish Channel, Quotes, Hot Word Blog, and desktop and mobile Flashcards, which are currently available for free. Dictionary.com Word Dynamo is now available at: www.worddynamo.com, and will also be available soon on mobile devices – upcoming features include classroom and social integration tools such as a teacher dashboard.
Dictionary.com is the leading provider of online and mobile language reference products and services. Dictionary.com, LLC, is an IAC (NASDAQ: IACI) company and includes Dictionary.com, Thesaurus.com, Reference.com, and Translator, and serves an average of 50 million unique users worldwide per month (source: 2011 Quantcast data and internal mobile usage data). For more information, please visit www.dictionary.com.