Discovery Labs to Present AFECTAIR® Data at European Congress on Pediatric and Neonatal Ventilation
Marks Company's First AFECTAIR Presentation to European Audience
WARRINGTON, Pa., June 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Discovery Laboratories, Inc. (Nasdaq: DSCO), a specialty biotechnology company dedicated to advancing a new standard in respiratory critical care, today announced it will be presenting neonatal AFECTAIR® data at the 11th European Congress on Pediatric and Neonatal Ventilation being held June 6 – 9, 2012 in Montreux, Switzerland. Though initially presented in the U.S., these data presentations mark the first introduction of the AFECTAIR neonatal device through scientific exchange to a European pediatric critical care audience. The AFECTAIR neonatal device has been developed by Discovery Labs to simplify the delivery of inhaled medications for critical care patients requiring ventilatory support and was cleared for marketing in the U.S. in early 2012. The AFECTAIR neonatal device will be commercially available in the U.S. and EU in late 2012.
Highlights from the two data presentations include:
Utilization of iNO Using a Novel Ventilator Circuit Connector versus Standard of Care Under Simulated Neonatal Mechanical Ventilation Conditions – An In Vitro Study. Mazela, et al.
- The Standard of Care (SoC) for ventilator delivery of inhaled nitric oxide (iNO) in pulmonary hypertension allows for potential iNO dilution, gas loss and environmental contamination.
- According to this study, which simulated neonatal mechanical ventilation conditions using an in vitro model, use of the AFECTAIR neonatal device resulted in the achievement of target nitric oxide concentrations using less nitric oxide when compared to the SoC delivery apparatus.
In Vitro Assessment of a Novel Aerosol Delivery System under Simulated Conditions; Mazela, et al.
- According to this study conducted in an in vitro model of neonatal mechanical ventilation conditions, when compared with a conventional wye connector, use of the AFECTAIR neonatal device resulted in improved delivery of aerosolized albuterol sulfate, including:
- a nine-fold increase in delivered dose under simulated CPAP conditions
- a 14-fold increase in delivered dose under simulated mechanical ventilation conditions
- a smaller difference in particle size distribution between aerosol output from the nebulizer and aerosol output from the patient interface.
These data will be presented on June 8th at the Montreux Congress Center.
About Discovery Labs
Discovery Laboratories, Inc. is a specialty biotechnology company with one focus – to create life-saving products for critical care patients with respiratory disease and improve the standard of care for pulmonary medicine. Discovery Labs' novel proprietary KL4 surfactant technology produces a synthetic, peptide-containing surfactant that is structurally similar to pulmonary surfactant and is being developed in liquid, lyophilized and aerosolized formulations. Discovery Labs is also developing its proprietary drug delivery technologies – capillary aerosol generator and novel patient interface connectors – to enable efficient, targeted upper respiratory or alveolar delivery of aerosolized KL4 surfactant. Discovery Labs believes that its proprietary technology makes it possible, for the first time, to develop a significant pipeline of surfactant products to address a variety of respiratory diseases for which there frequently are few or no approved therapies. For more information, please visit our website at www.discoverylabs.com.
Forward Looking Statements
To the extent that statements in this press release are not strictly historical, all such statements are forward-looking, and are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the statements made. Examples of such risks and uncertainties, including those related to Discovery Labs' development activities, including preclinical activities exploring the potential utility of the AFECTAIR neonatal device, are described in Discovery Labs' filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recent reports on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K, and any amendments thereto. Except as otherwise required by law, Discovery Labs undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements.
SOURCE Discovery Laboratories, Inc.
More by this Source
Discovery Labs Announces Completion of $14.25 Million Public Offering
May 15, 2013, 10:45 ET
Discovery Labs Prices $14.25 Million Public Offering of Common Stock
May 10, 2013, 08:45 ET
Discovery Labs Announces Proposed Public Offering of Common Stock
May 09, 2013, 16:01 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.