Dominion ArtStars Awards recognize arts organizations in Virginia that best demonstrate the ability to advance the synergy between arts and education for the benefit of students and their communities.
The following ArtStars winners and their outstanding programs will be recognized today at the Virginia Commission for the Arts' Art Works Conference in Richmond:
- Light House Studio, a Charlottesville-based studio that helps students develop their creativity and vision through filmmaking. The award will support workshops that teach technical film skills to underserved students across the Shenandoah region.
- The HARPS Foundation of Richmond, an organization that combines professional harp instruction with community outreach and education, for Sound Experiences, a program brings musical education to disadvantaged students across central Virginia.
- The McLean Project for the Arts in Fairfax County for its ArtReach program. The program offers underserved students a field trip to experience contemporary art exhibits and hands-on art projects exploring STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) topics.
- The Pro-Art Association, which brings professional performance artists and art educators to geographically isolated communities in southwestern Virginia, for its WiseJAMS program. The program provides instrumental instruction and promotes the area's cultural heritage to 3rd-8th grade students.
- The Williamsburg Symphony Orchestra, for its Side-by-Side Concerts with Williamsburg Youth Orchestras. The program gives young musicians the opportunity to learn from and perform alongside professional musicians.
Dominion (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy. The Dominion Foundation is dedicated to improving the physical, social and economic well-being of the communities served by Dominion companies. The Foundation supports nonprofit causes that meet basic human needs, protect the environment, promote education and encourage community vitality. For more information, visit www.dom.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dominion-awards-50000-to-artstars-winners-300396577.html
SOURCE Dominion Resources