Dominion Virginia Power Residential Customers Can Earn Money While Saving Money
- Customers earn $40 by participating in Dominion's Smart Cooling Rewards Program
- Nearly 100,000 customers enrolled
- Savings from managing energy usage equals approximately 17,500 homes
RICHMOND, Va., June 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion (NYSE: D) Virginia Power is again offering customers an opportunity to earn money this summer and help manage energy use with the Smart Cooling Rewards program. Nearly 100,000 Dominion customers participate and earn a $40 credit.
The program works by automatically cycling a customer's air conditioner or heat pump compressor on and off for defined intervals. Customers can enroll through Manage Your Account (MYA) or by calling 1-888-366-8280. Customers needing more information or with questions about meeting the eligibility requirements can access FAQs here. You can also view a video of the how the project works.
"This program is an excellent way for our customers to automatically earn a credit on their energy bill, while helping to meet Virginia's growing energy needs," said Gianna Clark, vice president of Customer Service. "By easing the demand on the power grid, customers help control their costs while supporting grid reliability."
The Smart Cooling Rewards program will reduce the demand on the electrical system by approximately one kilowatt per home. That's the equivalent of turning off ten-100 watt light bulbs in each home.
Here's how the Smart Cooling Rewards program works:
- Dominion will install an A/C cycling switch on a customer's outdoor cooling system. Since the work is performed on your outdoor unit, there is no need for an installation appointment. The equipment and installation are free.
- During periods of high electrical use between June 1 and September 30, Dominion may cycle participating customers' cooling systems on and off at defined intervals. Your fan will stay on, circulating already cooled air.
- Cycling times are limited to weekdays (no weekends or holidays) typically for 2-4 hours between the hours of 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Customers may select two days per summer season to opt out of a cycling event and still be eligible for the incentive.
Cycling events are posted on the day of the event to the Smart Cooling Rewards web page for Virginia and North Carolina as well as participating customers' MYA pages. The events are also posted to the Dominion Facebook page and Twitter. The postings typically precede the event by an hour.
Dominion is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 23,600 megawatts of generation, 10,900 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline and 6,400 miles of electric transmission lines. Dominion operates one of the nation's largest natural gas storage systems with 947 billion cubic feet of storage capacity and serves utility and retail energy customers in 10 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's website at www.dom.com.
SOURCE Dominion Virginia Power