UPPER SADDLE RIVER, N.J., May 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With the Memorial Day holiday less than two weeks away, you may have realized your backyard deck is a wreck. But even if you have no deck at all, it may be time to start dreaming of something bigger and better.
Thompson's® WaterSeal® has launched its 2014 Deck of Your Dreams Sweepstakes to help transform your dull outdoor space into a vision of perfection, with a grand prize valued at more than $15,000. That includes $10,000 in cash for building or repairing a deck, $5,000 in gift cards from the popular Plow & Hearth (www.plowhearth.com) of home furnishings and an in-person visit from HGTV/diy Network star, Jeff Wilson, who will offer his expert guidance throughout the design and building process. Enter at www.thompsonswaterseal.com from April 5-October 4.
Past winners have included the Beck family in 2011 (tore out a 250 square foot composite deck and built a 750 square foot deck), the Durands from Minnesota in 2012 (built a 10x18 screened-in deck on their new house) and the Freeman family from Georgia in 2013 (just completed a 12x12 octagon-shaped deck.)
Wilson says that considerations when building a deck include size, shape, built-ins and type of wood. "But there are also a lot of creative choices to make once the deck is finished," he commented. "It's no different than finishing a family room or any indoor space." To choose a color of deck stain, Wilson suggests referencing the color wheel, and choosing a color that is opposite of your house color for a complimentary effect.
"The new line of Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofing Stain at The Home Depot® come in the five most popular colors – Acorn Brown, Maple Brown, Harvest Gold, Sequoia Redwood and Woodland Cedar – which will work with most home styles," he said.
And since "deck-cessories" make the deck, Plow & Hearth offers the following tips to up the style, function and comfort factor:
- When selecting furniture for outdoor use, be sure to pay attention to the materials from which it was made. Woods like teak, cedar, eucalyptus and cypress are durable, long-lasting and require little maintenance. While wicker can be made of natural materials like rattan and bamboo, it is often crafted of resin—a durable, low-maintenance, easy-to-clean material. Wicker is often lightweight, which makes it easy to move around to create new seating looks whenever you wish.
- The addition of deck planters can really make a deck come alive (literally!) Self-watering planters are an ideal choice, because their reservoir system ensures plants get the water they need to grow.
- It's important to find the right style of furniture for an outdoor space. Adirondack chairs remain a favorite outdoor option. Rockers and gliders offer a traditional, comfortable way to enjoy a leisurely afternoon on your deck.
- Adding a trellis is an effective and affordable means to add vertical interest to an otherwise boring wall on the deck. Trellises can be almost any size.
- Looking for the perfect lighting so the deck can be enjoyed late into the evening? Solar lighting is an eco-friendly, energy-saving option, plus it requires no wiring or cords, which means installation is quick and easy. (And adequate lighting even makes the deck safer for use at night.)
Along with the 2014 Deck of Your Dreams Sweepstakes, the Thompson's® WaterSeal® web site (www.thompsonswaterseal.com) will feature a new look and inspirational new projects and deck care advice for the 2014 season. And there's even more "deck-citement" at www.facebook.com/thompsonswaterseal, www.pinterest.com/thompsonswseal and www.youtube.com/thompsonswaterseal.
SOURCE Thompson’s WaterSeal