Don't Panic at the Pump: Swapalease.com Tips for Saving Money and Conserving Gas
CINCINNATI, July 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Recent weeks brought a drop in gas prices – from $4 a gallon to $3.80 or less. But experts agree that prices will again rise. There are plenty of ways to save your cash while also conserving gas, and we've swept the web to find the very best. Easier on the wallet AND the environment – that's a bargain.
- Stop aggressive driving. Speeding, tailgating, and stopping and starting are dangerous AND waste gas. www.fueleconomy.gov says your inner road warrior may lower mileage by as much as 33 percent. And every 5 mph above 60 costs another 24 cents a gallon.
- Use cruise control. Driving at a consistent speed uses less gas.
- Keep your car in shape. A poorly-running vehicle running costs you money. Taking care of a minor problem – say, an overdue tune-up - saves 16 cents a gallon. Fix a major problem and improve fuel efficiency by 40 percent!
- Use the proper motor oil. Using motor oil other than the one recommended by your car manufacturer will cost money in the long run.
- Combine trips. Make several trips a week to the grocery store, the dry cleaner, etc? Several short trips can cost double one longer trip. Do all your errands at once to maximize mileage.
- Carpooling works. But it's often not a viable option. Negotiate new work hours (avoiding driving in rush hour) and the opportunity to telecommute.
- Watch your weight. A car hauling extra stuff burns more fuel. Keep your trunk empty when possible. When hauling things, use the trunk instead of a roof rack, which creates drag.
Apps do everything from planning combined trips to finding the cheapest gas. Some of our favorites:
- Carticipate - Carticipate is the first rideshare application on a location aware mobile platform. Coordinate driving plans by indicating where you are going, when, and post your ride. The app matches you to carticipants going your way.
- AAA Triptik – provides all the local information you expect from the Automobile Association of America, as well as gas station location and price info.
- Gas Buddy – this free app pulls together a community of users to update gas prices in real time.
- AccuFuel - AccuFuel™ Fuel Efficiency Tracker tracks your driving habits to show you how they affect your fuel efficiency.
Available Topic Expert(s): For information on the listed expert(s), click appropriate link.