PLANO, Texas, Nov. 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Doritos brand today announced a last call for entries in this year's "Crash the Super Bowl" contest. Fans have two weeks remaining to turn their boldest Doritos commercial ideas into homemade ads before contest submissions officially close on Nov. 16, 2012. As part of this year's competition, two finalist consumer-created spots ultimately will air during the Super Bowl broadcast. The finalist whose ad scores highest on the USA TODAY Ad Meter rankings will be awarded the career-changing opportunity to work with acclaimed director Michael Bay on the next installment of the "Transformers" movie franchise, along with a shot at a $1 million bonus. From Paramount Pictures and Hasbro, the next installment in the hit "Transformers" series will be released on June 27, 2014. The Super Bowl XLVII broadcast is set for Sunday, Feb. 3, 2013, on CBS.
As one of Hollywood's boldest and most bankable feature film directors, Bay's repertoire includes such blockbuster hits as the "Transformers" franchise, "Armageddon," "Pearl Harbor," "Bad Boys" and "The Rock." Bay's films combined have grossed $5.4 billion in worldwide ticket sales, and his most recent hit, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon," ranks as the fifth-highest grossing movie of all time, earning $1.2 billion at the box office. Bay began his career as a creative force in the advertising world, winning many of the industry's top accolades, including being honored as "Commercial Director of the Year" by the Directors Guild of America at the young age of 27.
Fans can submit their homemade Doritos ads on the new Crash the Super Bowl-branded app on the Doritos Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/DoritosUSA), which is designed to engage and socialize with consumers in a much broader way than ever before. The app features a "help make an ad" collaboration tool, allowing fans from all walks of life to interact with each other and assist with the creation of Crash the Super Bowl entries by requesting or offering up props, talent and other items contestants need to create their potentially winning ads. Now, anyone from any background can play a role in the creation of the next great Doritos masterpiece. The app also houses the traditional toolbox where Doritos logos, product shots, music and animations are available for download and use, as well as the gallery of all contest submissions where fans can view submissions and weigh in on their personal favorites.
Five finalist ads will be announced in January 2013, with two finalist consumer-created spots ultimately airing during the Super Bowl broadcast. One of those ads will be selected by America's votes; the other by the Doritos brand team. Each of the five finalists will win $25,000 and a trip to New Orleans to attend Super Bowl XLVII in a private luxury suite at the game, where they will tune in to learn for the first time which consumer ads will compete for the top spot in the USA TODAY Ad Meter before a worldwide audience. Bonus prizing will be awarded, based on how each ad ranks on the USA TODAY Ad Meter:
- $1 million will be awarded for an ad that scores the No. 1 spot on the USA TODAY Ad Meter
- $600,000 will be awarded for an ad that scores the No. 2 two spot on the USA TODAY Ad Meter
- $400,000 will be awarded for an ad that scores the No. 3 spot on the USA TODAY Ad Meter
Created in 1989, USA TODAY's Ad Meter has been regarded as the most influential Super Bowl ad rating in the advertising industry. USA TODAY Ad Meter does not sponsor and is not affiliated with the contest.
PepsiCo's relationship with the NFL is among the company's longest running and most successful sports sponsorships. PepsiCo will leverage its relationship with the NFL to connect with consumers throughout the season, with activations spanning many of the company's largest food and beverage brands. Examples include:
- Pepsi will sponsor the Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show in New Orleans on February 3, 2013, bringing Pepsi's signature style of consumer engagement to pop culture's biggest stage.
- Pepsi and the NFL recently launched the Pepsi NFL Anthems program, a national campaign that will feature some of today's most talented musical artists, iconic NFL teams, and exciting players.
- Quaker Oats is teaming up with the NFL and quarterback Andrew Luck on the NFL PLAY 60 Super Bowl Contest presented by Quaker, a program that will find inspiring kids who make eating right and physical fitness a priority and can motivate their peers to do the same.
- Gatorade and its Gatorade Sports Science Institute are working closely with 11 NFL rookies this year to help guide their nutrition plans and help improve performance. Each rookie's story is being documented in a web series called "Everything to Prove" on NFL.com.
- Frito-Lay and Pepsi are joining forces for the "Make Your Game Day Official" promotion, which will give consumers who purchase Frito-Lay and Pepsi foods and beverages together a chance to win official NFL prizes.
HASBRO, TRANSFORMERS and all related characters are trademarks of Hasbro.
© 2012 Hasbro. All Rights Reserved.
Doritos tortilla chips is one of the billion-dollar brands that make up Frito-Lay North America, the $13 billion convenient foods business unit of PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP), which is headquartered in Purchase, NY. To learn more about the Doritos brand, visit its website at www.doritos.com or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/DoritosUSA or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/DoritosUSA.
About PepsiCo PepsiCo is a global food and beverage leader with net revenues of more than $65 billion and a product portfolio that includes 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in annual retail sales. Our main businesses – Quaker, Tropicana, Gatorade, Frito-Lay and Pepsi-Cola – make hundreds of enjoyable foods and beverages that are loved throughout the world. PepsiCo's people are united by our unique commitment to sustainable growth by investing in a healthier future for people and our planet, which we believe also means a more successful future for PepsiCo. We call this commitment Performance with Purpose: PepsiCo's promise to provide a wide range of foods and beverages for local tastes; to find innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment by conserving energy and water and reducing packaging volume; to provide a great workplace for our associates; and to respect, support and invest in the local communities where we operate. For more information, please visit www.pepsico.com.
BROADCAST / PRINT / TV MEDIA: Broadcast quality video, photo stills and press information is available to preview, download and share at www.magicbulletmedia.com/MNR/crashthesuperbowl
© 2012 NFL Properties LLC. All NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National Football League.
SOURCE Frito-Lay North America