HAGERSTOWN, Md., Dec. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Popular injectables like BOTOX® Cosmetic may be available at the nearest spa, but patients should consider the skill and experience of the person using the needle. A board certified plastic surgeon remains the ideal person to provide safe cosmetic injections with optimal results.
Any licensed physician can order BOTOX®, and most states, including Maryland, allow registered nurses and physician assistants to administer injections under a doctor's supervision. This is a common practice at medi-spas and even at a number of plastic surgery and dermatology centers. But just because someone can legally provide BOTOX® does not necessarily mean that person has sufficient experience or training to do injections.
Like any medical procedure, the outcome is highly dependent on provider skill, and even injections carry potential risk of serious complications, such as infection or tissue damage. Dr. Henry F. Garazo personally performs all injections at his Plastic Surgery Skin Care Clinic in Hagerstown. As a board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Garazo is also qualified to provide a complete range of cosmetic treatments, including surgery, if those approaches best address the patient's aesthetic needs.
He offers the following reasons to choose a board certified plastic surgeon for cosmetic injections:
- Patients can be sure that a board certified plastic surgeon has proper credentials and training. In Maryland physicians are required by law to accurately state their specialty area and board certification. Avoid less experienced injectable providers who adopt unregulated titles such as "Injection Specialist," "Cosmetic Specialist," or "Skin Care Professional."
- Plastic surgeons have a higher degree of training in cosmetic procedures. A board certified plastic surgeon must complete at least five years of surgical resident training, including a minimum of two years of specialized plastic surgery training. The voluntary process of board certification entails rigorous testing above and beyond that received in medical school. Continuing education requirements ensure that a board certified plastic surgeon is up to date in the latest advancements in cosmetic medicine.
- Patients will receive BOTOX® in the recommended dosage. Some providers overdilute BOTOX® as a way to offer injections at "bargain" prices, making the product less effective. A board certified plastic surgeon, who must adhere to a strict code of ethics, will deliver BOTOX® and other products at the manufacturer's recommended concentration for optimal results.
- Only safe, FDA-approved injectables will be used. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, a number of unlicensed and unapproved filler products have appeared on the market. BOTOX® is a prescription drug, and dermal fillers like Juvederm® are considered medical devices. Both are available only to licensed physicians. A board certified plastic surgeon will provide proof that he or she uses approved products that have met the highest standards for safety and efficacy.
- A deep understanding of facial anatomy gleaned from years of training equips a board certified plastic surgeon to deliver injections with excellent precision. It is crucial for a BOTOX® injector to target the correct muscles, not only for a patient's safety, but also to achieve the desired aesthetic result.
When deciding who should perform BOTOX® injections, training and experience matter. By choosing a board certified plastic surgeon, patients can be confident that they are in the hands of a true cosmetic specialist.
About Dr. Henry F. Garazo: Plastic surgeon Dr. Henry Garazo is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has been selected as one of America's Top Plastic Surgeons by the Consumers' Research Council of America for four consecutive years. He practices in his hometown of Hagerstown, Maryland, at The Galleria, 1140 Conrad Court, Hagerstown, Md., 21740-5905. Reach him at (301) 791-1800 or www.plasticsurgeryservices.net.
Media Contact: Dr. Henry F. Garazo, (301) 791-1800 or www.plasticsurgeryservices.net
This press release was issued through eReleases® Press Release Distribution. For more information, visit http://www.ereleases.com.
SOURCE Dr. Henry Garazo