DETROIT, Oct. 28, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the approach of the Halloween holiday, DTE Energy reminds customers to stay safe around electricity, especially when walking along local roads and sidewalks.
While Halloween is enjoyable for children, more pedestrians under the age of 18 are killed or injured on October 31 than on any other day of the year and nearly 25 percent of those injuries occur between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. These unfortunate incidents occur for a variety of reasons, but the potential for downed power lines provides another reason for caution.
"While we continue to invest in the electrical grid to make it stronger and more resilient, downed wires, due to vehicle accidents or damage from trees, are still a possibility," said Heather Rivard, senior vice president of Distribution Operations for DTE Energy. "That's why we urge customers to use extra caution, especially this time of year."
DTE Energy offers these six tips to help customers stay safe this Halloween.
- Put electronic devices down and look carefully along streets and sidewalks while going door to door.
- Stay at least 20 feet away from downed wires and anything they are in contact with, including puddles of water and fences. Keep children and pets away, too.
- If a downed wire is in the area, be extremely cautious near metal fences, which conduct electricity.
- Never cross the yellow barrier tape that may be around downed power lines.
- Always report downed wires by downloading DTE Energy's mobile app or calling 800.477.4747. Never assume that DTE Energy already knows about a downed wire.
- Remind children that rainstorms can occur suddenly this time of year, and a tree is not a safe shelter in a lightning storm. A tall, wet tree can attract electricity by acting as a lightning rod.
"Safety is DTE Energy's most important priority," Rivard said. "By being aware of the potential risks and following some simple rules, we can all return home safely this Halloween night."
For more information, visit dteenergy.com/safetycenter
About DTE Energy
DTE Energy is a Detroit-based diversified energy company involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and service nationwide. Its operating units include an electric utility serving 2.2 million customers in Southeastern Michigan and a natural gas utility service 1.2 million customers in Michigan. The DTE Energy portfolio includes non-utility energy businesses focused on power and industrial project, natural gas pipelines, gathering and storage and energy marketing and trading. Information about DTE Energy is available at dteenergy.com, twitter.com/dte_energy and facebook.com/dteenergy.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dte-energy-reminds-trick-or-treaters-to-stay-safe-around-electricity-300353390.html
SOURCE DTE Energy