EDENS Announces Earth Day Initiative As Part Of Their Long Term Commitment To Sustainability
COLUMBIA, S.C., April 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In conjunction with their overall corporate commitment to sustainability, EDENS, one of the nation's leading retail real estate owners and developers, announced today their company-wide Earth Day initiative. EDENS has created a call to action, whereby EDENS employees and community members from around the country will come together to plant trees at 20 different EDENS community centers.
EDENS' focus on sustainability stems from one of the Company's eight core values, stewardship. Stewardship refers to EDENS' responsibility to properly develop and utilize people, property and financial assets, to ensure their centers are sustained for future generations. EDENS enriches communities with every decision made at each center around the country, including the choice to use local suppliers, sustainable materials and systems such as solar panels, electric car charging stations and remote lighting management, as well as indigenous plants.
EDENS is committed to reducing the consumption of energy, water, and other products throughout their portfolio and corporate offices. As part of this commitment, EDENS has worked to reduce electricity use in the common areas of their centers on a per square foot basis by 20% over the past 4 years. In addition, EDENS has worked to promote efficient water use throughout their portfolio with a focus on irrigation, retailer plumbing fixtures and storm water management; purchase renewable energy where available and appropriate; continuously develop and implement corporate practices that reduce energy use, emissions and waste; and implement applicable recycling programs.
On Monday, April 22, 2013, Earth Day, EDENS will come together to plant trees at 20 of their centers nationwide including: South Bay Center, Mosaic, Princeton Shopping Center, City Vista, Shops at Stonefield, Union Market, Atherton Mill, Buckhead Market Place, Merchant's Walk, Abercorn Walk, Cross Hill Market and Trenholm Plaza. Over the life of each tree, it will absorb 1.33 tons of carbon dioxide. 20 trees will absorb 26 tons of carbon dioxide.
Highlights of key sustainability efforts and accomplishments achieved by the Company include:
- Total of 26 LEED-Accredited employees
- In 2012, employees received over 500 hours of LEED education
- Retrofitted over 900 lighting fixtures since 2008 with more energy efficient lighting
- From 2009 – 2012, EDENS saved over 8.7 million kWh of electricity. This is equivalent to 122,696,804 pounds of carbon dioxide, annual greenhouse gas emissions from 1,285 passenger vehicles or CO2 emissions from the electricity use of 924 homes for one year
- In 2012, EDENS had a 21% reduction over the 2008 baseline for energy and water consumption at existing properties
- EDENS has generated 314,781 kWh from solar in 2012
- Since the Fall of 2012, EDENS has recycled 3 tons of waste
- Propane-powered mowers use 26% less greenhouse gases and 60% less carbon monoxide than a gasoline model. 41 EDENS centers are being mowed with propane powered mowers, which is an increase from 17 EDENS centers using propane powered mowers in 2011
- Audited 100% of EDENS irrigation systems to eliminate any wasted water usage
- 48 centers use organic or natural lawn care products
- 30 tons of waste has been recycled since the Fall of 2012
- In 2012, 88.2% of new leases contained Sustainable Practices language and 39.9% of the renewal leases did.
For more information on EDENS, please visit www.edens.com.
EDENS develops, owns and operates community building centers in primary markets throughout the East Coast. Focusing on innovative development and redevelopment together with key acquisitions in urban areas, the Company has built an institutional-quality portfolio of 111 retail centers. EDENS has Regional Headquarters in Boston, New York, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Miami and Columbia, SC. For additional information about the Company and its retail real estate portfolio, please visit www.edens.com.
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.