SANTA MONICA, Calif., Aug. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Some cars offer great value while others excel in particular features such as cargo space or in-cabin technology. But which cars are quite simply THE BEST? Edmunds.com, the premier resource for car shopping and automotive information, offers its subjective opinion for the top dog in each vehicle segment with "The 17 Best Cars You Can Buy."
"This list answers a question that we get all the time: If you could pick any car in a given segment, and money wasn't an issue, what car would you choose?" says Edmunds.com Automotive Editor James Riswick. "Sure, many of the cars on this list cost a pretty penny, but guess what? It usually costs more to get the best."
A total of 14 brands appear on the list, led by Toyota with three vehicles and Honda with two. Highlights of Edmunds.com's "17 Best Cars You Can Buy" include:
- Best Subcompact: 2013 Mini Cooper – "The Mini Cooper is the far superior subcompact car. It's better to drive, better made and better to behold. The Mini is a car that is desired regardless of its size, and in some cases because of it."
- Best Midsize Sedan: 2013 Nissan Altima – "In total, the Altima is the nicest to drive, the easiest to use and cheapest to fuel. When it comes to a family sedan, those qualities make it the best."
- Best Luxury Sedan: 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class – "Not only is the recently redesigned S-Class the best luxury sedan you can buy, one could certainly argue it's the best car in the world... The design is supremely elegant, the materials exquisite and the feature content truly staggering."
- Best Convertible: 2013 Bentley Continental GTC – "When [the roof is] lowered, the cabin remains notably serene with the wind deflector in place, so your driving companion's immaculately crafted coiffure will remain unfussed. The Bentley Continental represents top-down motoring at its absolute finest."
- Best Sports Car: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette – "The all-new C7 Corvette has been transformed into a 100-percent genuine, world-class sports car that looks great, goes like hell and is built to a standard that now warrants its price."
Check out all of Edmunds.com's "Best 17 Cars You Can Buy" at http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/the-17-best-cars-you-can-buy.html.
About Edmunds.com, Inc.
Edmunds.com is a car-shopping Web site committed to helping people find the car that meets their every need. Almost 18 million visitors use our research, shopping and buying tools every month to make an easy and informed decision on their next new or used car. Whether you're at the dealership or on the go, we're always by your side with our acclaimed Edmunds.com iPhone and iPad apps and our Edmunds.com Android App. Our comprehensive car reviews, shopping tips, photos, videos and feature stories offer a friendly and authentic approach to the automotive world. We're based in Santa Monica, Calif., but you can connect with us from anywhere by following @Edmunds on Twitter or by becoming a fan of Edmunds.com on Facebook.