Edward Norton, Joe Jonas, Flo Rida and 2014 Super Bowl Champions Seattle Seahawks come together at We Day Seattle to inspire young people to change the world
- We Day will be streamed live today from 9:15 a.m. PT at www.q13fox.com
- A broadcast special of We Day Seattle will air Friday, April 18 on Q13 FOX from 7 to 8PM -
- Photos and footage of the show will be available at www.weday.com/seattle-epk by 3:00 p.m. PT -
SEATTLE, March 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Today the world's largest youth empowerment of its kind, We Day, along with Co-Title Sponsors Microsoft and The Allstate Foundation, will bring together renowned speakers and chart-topping musical acts including Edward Norton, Pete Carroll, Joe Jonas, Cody Simpson, Hannah Alper and Flo Rida along with international activists and co-founders of Free The Children, Craig and Marc Kielburger, at We Day Seattle to engage and inspire youth from across Washington state to take action on local and global causes that are important to them.
An initiative of international charity and educational partner, Free The Children, We Day is taking the philanthropic world by storm with events in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom with more than 180,000 young people coming together to make a positive impact in the world this year alone. Next stop is We Day California, taking place on March 26 at the Oracle Arena featuring Selena Gomez, Seth Rogen, Magic Johnson and thousands of students from across the Golden State.
We Day Seattle will bring some of the greatest social issues of today to the forefront, and provide the young people in attendance and tens of thousands more watching the live stream of the event online at www.q13fox.com, ways in which every young person can find their place within the movement to create global change. Free The Children ambassador, Jesse Giddings and actor, Devon Bostick will lead the crowd through a day full of powerful educational speeches, inspirational moments and electric performances. A few must-see moments will include:
- A hip-hop/contemporary performance featuring The Connection, dancing to a mash-up of Love Me Again by John Newman with voiceover excerpts from the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s I Have A Dream speech. This compilation will close with Dr. Luther King Jr.'s eldest son, Martin Luther King III, speaking about the importance of education and his involvement in a global movement for change
- Governor of Washington, Jay Inslee, will issue a proclamation, officially declaring March 21, We Day across Washington state. On this day, communities will unite to support and encourage young people in their efforts to make Washington, and the world, a better place.
- 2014 Super Bowl Champions Seattle Seahawks Jermaine Kearse, Derrick Coleman, Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson hyping up the crowd and talking about their dedication and approach to becoming their best selves.
- Award-winning international recording artist and philanthropist, Flo Rida, will get the crowd up off their seats with show-stopping performances of his hit songs.
"The Seahawks are proud to be a part of We Day again. The 12s have supported us all year and we wanted to come support the great work of all these students," said Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks linebacker. "Like our Super Bowl victory this is another positive way for our community to come together."
The full lineup of acts who will take the We Day Seattle stage include Edward Norton, Joe Jonas, Flo Rida, Cody Simpson, Dr. Elizabeth Lindsey, Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, Derrick Coleman, Bobby Wagner, Jermaine Kearse, Jesse Giddings, Devon Bostick, Roger Levesque, Martin Luther King III, Hannah Alper, Spencer West, and Craig and Marc Kielburger. Hi-res photos and bios are available here for download.
We Day is free of charge to the thousands of students and educators in attendance, thanks to the extraordinary support of sponsors, led in Washington state by Co-Title Sponsors Microsoft and The Allstate Foundation. Microsoft helped bring We Day to the United States for the first time in 2013 as part of its YouthSpark initiative. The Allstate Foundation is the National Co-Title Sponsor of We Day and We Act across the U.S. with We Day events beginning in Seattle and California.
"We are inspired by today's youth who are pursuing their passion to make the world a better place and proud to stand beside them every step of the way," said Lori Forte Harnick, general manager, Citizenship and Public Affairs at Microsoft. "Working with Free The Children is an incredible honor for Microsoft and we are excited to help provide 15,000 students at We Day Seattle with an opportunity to share their passion for change."
"Our partnership with We Day and Free The Children allows us to engage with such inspiring young people across the country, and to support them in their journey to helping others," said Vicky Dinges, Senior Vice President, Corporate Responsibility, Allstate Insurance Company. "The Allstate Foundation is committed to helping individuals and families overcome challenges and uncertainties, exactly what students from all across Washington are taking part in through their food drives and school building – and we are so humbled by their work."
Students can't buy a ticket to We Day; they earn it through service by making a commitment to take action on at least one local and one global initiative of their choice as part of the year-long educational program, We Act. The We Act program supports students and teachers with free educational resources, student-led campaigns and support materials to help turn the inspiration of We Day into sustained activation. The program enhances a school's existing service learning initiatives or sparks new ones.
We Day has over 1 million followers on Twitter and is one of the world's largest charitable causes on Facebook with 3.8 million fans. Stay connected with We Day and Facebook through the following social networking channels:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/weday
- Twitter: @weday @craigkielburger @freethechildren
- #WeDay #Seattle
- Visit: www.weday.com
About Free The Children
For more information, please contact:
Associate Director, PR & Publicity
SOURCE Free The Children