LOUISVILLE, Ky., June 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- el Jimador, 100 percent blue agave tequila, today announced the U.S. and Mexican national teams' soccer legends, and 10 contest winners who will participate in the second edition of Jimi Cup on July 9, 2013 at Casa Herradura's distillery in Amatitan, Jalisco. As the official tequila sponsor of the MLS, U.S. Men's and Women's National Teams, and the annual U.S. Tour of the Mexican National Team, el Jimador creates once-in-a-lifetime experiences for soccer fans.
Adults across the country, 21 years and older, participated in the Jimi Cup contest through el Jimador's Facebook tab at www.Facebook.com/elJimador, by describing a "Game to Remember". Seth Vertelney of Goal.com, Charles Ventura from FOXSoccer.com, Carlos Velazquez from Univision.com, and two el Jimador executives, reviewed the entries and selected 10 winners based on originality, emotion, personality and use of the el Jimador brand.
The player roster includes:
U.S. National Team
- Alexi Lalas (captain): el Jimador brand ambassador, National Soccer Hall of Famer and former legendary defender for the U.S. national team, Alexi became the first ever U.S. player to play in Italian Serie A.
- Brandi Chastain: Women's national team icon, Brandi has won two Women's World Cup championships, two Olympic gold medals, and an Olympic silver medal.
- Taylor Twellman: Current ESPN lead analyst, Taylor scored 101 league goals for MLS's New England Revolution from 2002-2009 and participated in 30 international games.
Mexican National Team
- Claudio "El Emperador" Suarez (captain): Former Mexican legend that represented his national team in three World Cups and last played for Chivas USA, Claudio has the record for most caps with the Mexican national team.
- Monica Gonzalez: Founding member of the Mexican Women's National team in 1998, Monica led the team to the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup and was the captain from 2003 to 2007. The 2004 Olympian is currently a soccer analyst for ESPN.
- Ramon Ramirez: Former Mexican national team midfielder, Ramon is one of the all-time most capped players for Mexico and last played for MLS' Chivas USA team. He participated in several World Cups becoming a key player in the starting eleven.
The 10 lucky contest winners below will play alongside and against their soccer idols, enjoy an exclusive tour of Casa Herradura distillery and experience the art of tequila making first-hand. The contest prize also includes round-trip airfare, hotel accommodations, and local transportation for all winners and a guest.
- Clarabella Alcantar (Alpharetta, GA)
- Cristobal Garcia (Evans, CO)
- Stuart Grierson (Buena Park, CA)
- Martin Herrera (Inglewood, CA)
- Steven James (Miramar, FL)
- Andrew Lickenbrock (Medord, MA)
- Lindsey Miller (Portland, ME)
- Bette Shapiro (Red Bud, IL)
- Andres Suarez (Escondido, CA)
- Pat Trevino (Kitteny, ME)
"As a brand that is recognized worldwide for its passion and authenticity, we are thrilled to host the second edition of Jimi Cup to continue connecting with passionate soccer fans through once-in-a-lifetime soccer experiences," said Jesus Ostos, brand manager for Tequila el Jimador.
About el Jimador Tequila
From Casa Herradura, established in 1870, el Jimador is a premium, authentic 100 percent agave tequila that captures the spirit of real tequila. The name el Jimador honors the men who harvest the locally grown agave with great pride and care. Since its introduction in 1994, el Jimador has become the No. 1 selling 100 percent agave tequila in Mexico*. el Jimador is the official sponsor of the MLS, U.S. Men's and Women's National Teams and the annual U.S. Tour of the Mexican National Team. To learn more about el Jimador, visit www.eljimador.com.
SOURCE el Jimador Tequila