WASHINGTON, May 24, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, 11 programs of study were recognized as "Excellence in Action" award winners, demonstrating innovative and high-quality Career Technical Education (CTE). The awardees were chosen by a national selection committee based on their proven ability to prepare students for education and career success, demanding coursework, high-quality work-based learning experiences, and sustained partnerships with education, business and community leaders.
Advance CTE is pleased to recognize the following award winners in Career Cluster areas:
- Tulare Join Union High School District Farm, CA (Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources)
- Advanced Technologies Academy, NV (Architecture & Construction)
- Vista PEAK Preparatory, CO (Business Management & Administration)
- Peoria Unified School District, AZ (Education & Training)
- Hamburg High School, NY (Finance)
- Waubonsee Community College, IL (Health Science)
- Central Campus of Des Moines Public Schools, IA (Hospitality & Tourism)
- Southwest High School, TX (Information Technology)
- Carl Wunsche Sr. High School, TX (Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security)
- Desert View High School, AZ (Manufacturing)
- Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District Career-Tech Center, MI (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics)
"CTE should prepare all students for success in both postsecondary education and careers, and these programs of study do exactly that," said Kimberly Green, Advance CTE Executive Director. "The eleven award winners were chosen, in part, due to their dedication to ensuring access to and supporting success for all students. We hope these programs of study serve as a model for leaders across the country by demonstrating what high-quality CTE looks like and can offer to students and communities."
Scott Nail representing Upper Valley Career Center, a 2015 award recipient said, "What an amazing honor for UVCC to be chosen. This award has allowed UVCC to share best practices with federal policymakers and the White House administration, a testament to how CTE is being reshaped to help prepare students for high-demand, high-wage jobs."
Award recipients were honored at the 2016 Advance CTE Spring Meeting at a luncheon where 40 administrators, educators and students traveled across the country to be recognized.
Find profiles of each winner.
About Advance CTE
Advance CTE: State Leaders Connecting Learning to Work is the longest-standing national non-profit that represents State Directors and state leaders responsible for secondary, postsecondary and adult Career Technical Education (CTE) across all 50 states and U.S. territories. For more visit www.careertech.org.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eleven-career-technical-education-programs-of-study-receive-excellence-in-action-award-300273522.html
SOURCE Advance CTE