Eliminate complicated wireless set up with TI's new low-cost, easy-to-use NFC solutions in the Internet of Things
New Dynamic NFC Transponder hardware simplifies Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi pairing and NFCLink software streamlines wireless development across TI's embedded processing portfolio
DALLAS, June 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) continues to deliver new near field communications (NFC) innovations in its broad portfolio of solutions that make entry to NFC development easier and lower cost. Today, TI introduces the Dynamic NFC Transponder RF430CL330H hardware to enable uncomplicated and inexpensive wireless set up. Also announced today, the NFCLink software is a standard NFC library for the TRF79xx NFC transceiver family to ease NFC development on TI embedded processors.
The new Dynamic NFC Transponder Interface RF430CL330H is low cost, bringing a secure, simplified pairing process for Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi connections to products, such as printers, speakers, headsets, and remote controls, as well as wireless keyboards, mice, switches and sensors. It is the only dynamic NFC tag device designed specifically for NFC connection handover and service interface functions, including host diagnostics and software upgrades.
Streamlining NFC development across TI's entire embedded processing portfolio, the NFCLink software firmware library, in partnership with Stollman E+V GmbH and Kronegger GmbH, enables developers to quickly and easily create NFC applications for TRF79xx NFC transceivers using TI's ultra-low-power MSP430™ microcontrollers (MCUs), Tiva™ C Series ARM® MCUs and OMAP™ processors. Additional TI embedded processor platforms will be supported in the future. NFC applications running on operating systems include point-of-service devices, routers, set-top boxes, automotive infotainment and other various consumer devices.
"As demand for NFC devices continues to proliferate, we are excited to work with TI to offer NFCLink to ease this development for designers," said Christian Andresen, head of the NFC business unit, Stollman E+V GmbH. "This unique and market-leading software library is a crucial offering in easing NFC adoption."
Features and benefits of the Dynamic NFC Transponder RF430CL330H:
- Combines a wireless NFC interface and wired SPI/I2C interface to connect the device to a host (classified as an NFC tag type 4 device). The data content is then shifted dynamically from the host into the RF430CL330H's SRAM and can then be transferred over the NFC interface.
- Integrates SPI/I2C serial communication interface, allowing reading and writing of NFC data exchange format (NDEF) messages stored in integrated SRAM.
- Supports data rates up to 848 KBs per second for RF data transfer (over-the-air firmware updates).
- Incorporates an ISO 14443B-compliant RF interface, allowing wireless access of NDEF messages.
- Provides industry's lowest standby power current, enabling battery-powered devices with longer battery life.
- Offers host wakeup capability when in the NFC RF field, which combined with the fact that the NFC interface is passive, maximizes battery life.
Features and benefits of the NFCLink firmware library:
- Eases NFC development on TRF79xx transceivers with TI's MSP430 MCUs, Tiva C Series ARM MCUs and OMAP processors.
- Provides customers with modular firmware library stacks for a flexible solution they can utilize to easily tailor their products to support the complete NFC Forum operation or only necessary parts (e.g., protocol, operating modes), resulting in highly optimized solutions.
- Supports various operating systems, including Win8, Win7, Linux and Android.
- Provides proven software stack through partnership with Stollman E+V GmbH.
- Offers unmatched local customer support with TI's regional field application engineer (FAE) presence for the NFC and embedded processor portfolio.
Tools, software, pricing and availability (All prices are in U.S. dollars)
- The Dynamic NFC Transponder Interface RF430CL330H is available for $.85 at 1,000 unit volumes. Developers can begin evaluating their NFC designs using the Dynamic NFC Transponder Interface RF430CL330H with the RF430CL330HTB Target Board for $19 USD. Available through TI's estore, a bundled evaluation solution, the Dynamic NFC Transponder Evaluation Kit, contains the RF430CL330HTB Target Board and the MSP-EXP430FR5739 Experimenter Board for $54.
- NFCLink can be downloaded now on www.ti.com/nfclink. When evaluating the NFCLink software, designers can utilize the TRF7970ATB Target Board for $49 USD. These target boards, in combination with TI MSP430 MCU, Tiva C Series MCU and OMAP processor development kits, provide a complete evaluation solution. For creating MSP430-based solutions, customers can purchase a bundled solution, the NFCLink Evalution Kit, containing the TRF7970ATB Target Board and the MSP-EXP430F5529 USB Experimenter's Board for $224.
- For evaluating the complete NFC solution with Dynamic NFC Transponder Interface, NFC Transceiver IC and NFCLink software, the all-in-one NFC Evaluation Kit, contains the TRF7970ATB Target Board, the MSP-EXP430F5529 USB Experimenter's Board, RF430CL330HTB Target Board and the MSP-EXP430FR5739 Experimenter Board for $278.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430, Tiva and OMAP are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments
More by this Source
Next-generation power factor correction controller improves energy efficiency
Dec 03, 2013, 12:00 ET
Ultra-low power circuits to enable next wave of energy harvesting design
Nov 19, 2013, 15:12 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.