NEW YORK, April 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
Elsevier R&D Solutions and ICIS Chemical Business to honor companies for notable product and process innovations and co-launch new Alpha Innovator of the Year award
Elsevier, a world-leading provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, has today announced it will be the lead sponsor of the 2016 ICIS Innovation Awards, which recognizes companies for innovative chemical products and processes that solve customer and business needs and create value through pioneering approaches to business, the environment and sustainability. Elsevier and ICIS are also co-launching the new Alpha Innovator of the Year award category, which will recognize chemists, engineers and other R&D and manufacturing professionals for demonstrating exceptional leadership and expertise in product development and process improvement.
The Alpha Innovator of the Year award will be presented to two individuals-one for achievements in product development or process optimization, and another for success in progressing environmental performance and sustainability goals in the chemical industry.
"For those working in chemical R&D and manufacturing, the conflicting demands for performance products, faster investment returns, lower research and manufacturing costs, lower emissions and safer manufacturing will not subside soon," said Alexander Van Boetzelaer, Managing Director for Elsevier R&D Solutions. "In this difficult environment, we believe strongly in continuously energizing the hearts and minds of the individuals who pursue advancements in compounds, formulations, advanced materials, and production processes--so that the industry may create and commercialize the best solutions for society's needs. We are thrilled to not only support this work with chemistry decision tools and scientific databases, but also to work with ICIS Chemical Business in promoting the visibility and encouragement of such talented individuals and critical industry progress."
Now in its 13th year, the well-respected ICIS Innovation Awards seek to recognize and reward companies that demonstrate excellence in technological product and process innovation. The awards also aim to raise awareness of pioneers in environmental sustainability practices. With the addition of the Alpha Innovator of the Year award category, 2016 marks the first time that individual contributors will be separately recognized. The award submissions will be reviewed by a panel of leading authorities within the chemicals industry. The panel of judges consists of:
- Dr Detlef Kratz - responsible for corporate technology and operational excellence at BASF and a member of BASF's commission for investment and M&A. He has worked in leadership positions in both Asia and Europe and has a PhD in organic chemistry from the University of Heidelberg.
- Christina Välimäki - responsible for market and product growth strategies targeting the innovation needs of chemical companies at Elsevier R&D Solutions. She has an MBA from Harvard Business School and is a member of the Chemical Marketing & Economics Group and the Chemists' Club. |
- Richard Northcote - chief sustainability officer at Covestro; he has a wealth of experience in the chemical and construction industries and has worked as a journalist, corporate communications and government affairs executive, and latterly in sustainable development. He joined ICI in 1996 and Covestro in 2009.
- Michael (Mike) Lacey - new product identification manager within the New Product Platform group of ExxonMobil Chemical in Houston, Texas; he manages the pursuit of new product opportunities. He holds a BS in chemistry from Texas A&M University and a PhD in chemistry from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- David Yankovitz - managing director for Accenture's global chemical industry practice and has segment P&L responsibilities in North America. He has 25 years' experience with clients across all sectors of the chemical industry and a degree in industrial and systems engineering from Case Western Reserve University.
- Just Jansz - an independent board member and advisor, and founder and MD of business and technology management consultancy Expertise Beyond Borders. He has 30 years' experience with LyondellBasell and its precursors, and was formerly president of technology business at LyondellBasell.
"We are pleased to welcome Elsevier R&D Solutions as the lead sponsor for the 13th year of the ICIS Innovation Awards," said John Baker, Global Editor at ICIS. "There is tremendous effort and investment taking place as chemists around the globe seek solutions to society and industry's biggest problems. Each year, the awards continues to increase its presence within the industry and we look forward to showcasing the very best innovation that the chemical industry has to offer."
Award entries can be made online until June 30th 2016. The results of the awards will be announced in ICIS Chemical Business and online in mid-October. Winners will be invited to attend the awards luncheon in early December in London, UK, to receive their commendations.
For information about previous awards and how to apply, please visit: http://www.icis.com/awards.
ICIS, the trusted information provider for the chemical and energy industries, is part of Reed Business Information (RBI), a division of Reed Business and a member of RELX Group, a world-leading provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries. For more information on ICIS visit http://www.icis.com.
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information solutions that enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress. Elsevier provides web-based, digital solutions - among them ScienceDirect, Scopus, Elsevier Research Intelligence and ClinicalKey - and publishes over 2,500 journals, including The Lancet and Cell, and more than 33,000 book titles, including a number of iconic reference works. Elsevier is part of RELX Group, a world-leading provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across industries. http://www.elsevier.com.
Director, Corporate Relations