EMD Serono Exclusive Supporter of Newly Launched Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre
ROCKLAND, Mass., Oct. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, is the founding supporter of the newly launched Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Resource Centre website (http://multiplesclerosis.elsevierresource.com/) developed by Elsevier, B.V. of the Netherlands. EMD Serono helped established the MS Resource Centre through a $250,000 unrestricted grant to Elsevier, B.V. to develop and launch the website, which will provide high quality, balanced and scientifically valid information to health care providers.
"EMD Serono is proud to have provided the necessary foundation for Elsevier to develop this website that aims to provide clinicians with access to the latest literature on multiple sclerosis," said Thorsten Eickenhorst, MD, PhD, MBA, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer at EMD Serono, Inc. "EMD Serono is committed to supporting organizations that invest in the understanding and treatment of multiple sclerosis, and share our goal of improving patient care."
The MS Resource Centre is a medical education platform for healthcare providers hosted by Elsevier's new peer-reviewed journal, Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders (http://www.msard-journal.com/). This website will afford the MS community numerous benefits, including access to taped lectures, video interviews with leaders in the field, a congress planner and key articles reporting on breakthrough findings by highly regarded authors. Timothy Vartanian, MD, PhD, Professor at the Brain and Mind Research Institute and the Department of Neurology, Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University is the Editor of the Resource Center.
The site will be launched at the ECTRIMS 2013 conference, October 2 – 5, in Copenhagen, Denmark. For more information, congress delegates should stop by the Elsevier Exhibit Booth at ECTRIMS.
About EMD Serono, Inc.
EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, is a leader in the US biopharmaceutical arena, integrating cutting-edge science with unparalleled patient support systems to improve people's lives. The company has strong market positions in neurodegenerative diseases, endocrinology and in reproductive health. In addition, EMD Serono is growing its expertise and presence in the area of oncology, with more than 15 projects currently in development. With a clear focus on the patient and a leadership presence in the biopharmaceutical industry, EMD Serono's US footprint continues to grow, with approximately 1,000 employees around the country and fully integrated commercial, clinical and research operations in the company's home state of Massachusetts.
For more information, please visit www.emdserono.com
About Merck KGaA
Merck is a leading pharmaceutical, chemical and life science company with total revenues of € 11.2 billion in 2012, a history that began in 1668, and a future shaped by approx. 38,000 employees in 66 countries. Its success is characterized by innovations from entrepreneurial employees. Merck's operating activities come under the umbrella of Merck KGaA, in which the Merck family holds an approximately 70% interest and free shareholders own the remaining approximately 30%. In 1917 the U.S. subsidiary Merck & Co. was expropriated and has been an independent company ever since.
SOURCE EMD Serono