Emerson Hospital Selects Perioperative IT Solution from Surgical Information Systems MEDITECH Interoperability, automated anesthesia documentation, and robust analytics keys to driving clinical, operational, and financial performance in the OR
ATLANTA, Oct. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Surgical Information Systems (SIS), a leader in perioperative information systems, announced today that Emerson Hospital (Emerson) has selected the full SIS Solution to replace its legacy surgical documentation system and to automate its anesthesia documentation process. The SIS solution will be implemented on its main campus in Concord, MA. With 179 beds and more than 300 primary care doctors and specialists, Emerson is well known for its outstanding nursing care and patient-centered facilities and its strong collaborations with Boston's academic medical centers.
"We needed a major upgrade to a modern, comprehensive perioperative system that would help us to optimize our workflow and deliver high-quality, coordinated care throughout the perioperative environment," explained Emerson Senior Director of Information Systems Renee Fosberg. "We selected SIS because it will help us make timely, actionable business decisions that can improve performance and tightly control costs. SIS' proven integration with our MEDITECH clinical system will help us create a comprehensive electronic record that provides access to data we need to support our revenue and outcomes goals."
The SIS solution will support Emerson's goals of reducing its dependency on paper-based anesthesia documentation and optimizing operating room performance by enabling them to create comprehensive documentation using a single patient record. The platform includes:
- Surgical scheduling, including preadmission testing, supporting goals to reduce day of surgery delays and cancellations;
- Nursing documentation designed to help streamline clinical workflows and record a comprehensive nursing patient record;
- Role-based analytics to help promote optimized performance and improved perioperative outcomes through granular-level drill down capabilities;
- Rules Based Charging, to accurately capture and bill for all charges;
- Anesthesia information management system (AIMS), which provides automation of the legal anesthetic record and is the only AIMS to share a single database with a specialty perioperative system;
- Patient tracking through all phases of care to help improve communications and core metrics including on time case starts and room turnover times;
- Perioperative dashboards to provide surgical teams with key patient information such as labs, vital signs, timers, and checklists; and
- Integrated tissue tracking to help standardize processes and help accurately track tissues, reduce waste, and manage tissue inventory.
"SIS' interoperable solution, including the only perioperative system featuring shared nursing and anesthesia documentation on a single database, will enable Emerson to support continuity of care, streamline the flow of information, and simplify our surgery and anesthesia documentation," said Ms. Fosberg. "Importantly, SIS' advanced functionality will allow us to kick our dependency on paper-based anesthesia documentation and give anesthesia providers more time which they can use to focus on providing the best in quality care for our patients."
"As the efficient delivery of quality outcomes becomes increasingly important to the OR's financial and operational performance, hospitals depend on technology to help them capture, communicate, and analyze information that gives them the edge," said Ed Daihl, SIS Chief Executive Officer. "We are honored to work with the Emerson team to help them continually improve their processes and support their goals to provide high-quality, safe and efficient care."
Emerson Hospital is a multi-site health system headquartered in Concord, Mass., with additional facilities in Sudbury, Groton and Westford. The 179-bed hospital provides advanced medical services to more than 300,000 individuals in 25 towns. To learn more, visit our website.
Surgical Information Systems (SIS) provides software solutions that are uniquely designed to add value at every point of the perioperative process. Developed specifically for the complex surgical environment, all SIS solutions—including anesthesia—are architected on a single database and integrate easily with other hospital systems. SIS offers the only surgical scheduling system and the only anesthesia information management system endorsed by the American Hospital Association (AHA), and rules-based charging and analytics tools that have been granted Peer Reviewed status by the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA). SIS is also the first AIMS provider to be designated as an AQI Preferred Vendor by the Anesthesia Quality Institute (AQI). SIS Anesthesia was notably rated #1 in the recently released anesthesia specialty report by KLAS and awarded the Category Leader Designation in the 2012 Best In KLAS Awards.
For more information, visit our website, www.SISFirst.com. SIS, the SIS logo, and Surgical Information Systems are trademarks of Surgical Information Systems, LLC. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE Surgical Information Systems