Enterasys Unveils Industry-First Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) Initiative
Technical Education Classes Offer Students Open and Flexible Learning Environment
SALEM, N.H., June 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Enterasys Networks, a Siemens Enterprise Communications Company, is launching a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) initiative designed to provide students who are interested in learning more about IT, an informal learning environment within an open forum. As a leader in the education and networking field, Enterasys is offering technical education classes at no cost. The courses provide technical skills achievement in fundamental areas around IP data networking, wireless technologies and security concepts – all key areas of recognized growth within the IT space. Unlike traditional MOOCs, the Enterasys MOOC is self-paced and students can attend the weekly scheduled module when it is best for them.
- The Enterasys MOOC runs a total of four, sixteen week sections, with eight modules per course (a total of 32 modules). The modules are based on the following courses: Data Networking Fundamentals, Wireless Fundamentals, Security Concepts and IPv6 Networking Fundamentals.
- Courses are open to all students globally, although the lecture materials are delivered in English. Enterasys does not require any background knowledge or prior skills to attend the MOOC, just an interest in the subject matter.
- The communication and transcript tracking mechanisms are all based on Twitter. Students will be able to view their current course completion transcripts and compare their ranking to other students via Enterasys.com leaderboard statistics. The top student for each section will be awarded a prize for his/her success. Student interactions among peers or teachers are based on the Twitter hashtag #ETSMOOC.
- Delivering the modules are industry certified instructors, who are versed not only within the technology for discussion but also across the breadth of wired and wireless standards and solutions.
- Students who successfully complete the section of modules will receive a Statement of Accomplishment from Enterasys. Efforts are underway to achieve college credit for attending the Enterasys MOOCs.
Phil Komarny, VP of Information Technology & CIO, Seton Hill University
"We want to provide students with the best education possible. The millennium generation especially needs to stay connected. Our mission is to provide students with access to critical learning resources, as well as communal social networking sites. Seton Hill has attained this through the use of mobile devices in a hyper connected, cloud based, learning environment. The Enterasys MOOC is yet another example of technology enhancing a learning experience."
Vala Afshar, Chief Customer Officer & Chief Marketing Officer, Enterasys Networks
"Given the rise of college tuition, many people believe technology like massively open online courses (MOOCs) reduce costs and make education more affordable. Enterasys is excited to participate in this new approach to learning that will make it easy and more enjoyable to get certifications and become knowledgeable on the subjects students are most interested in. We could have future CIOs and engineers take our courses so we want to offer this opportunity to anyone."
- Enterasys Blog Post: Trends in Massive Open Online Courses [Infographic]
- Vala Afshar's Huffington Post Blog and Infographic
- Enterasys Higher Education Solutions Webpage
- Enterasys K-12 Solutions Webpage
- Enterasys University Overview
- Enterasys Social Media Newsroom
- Connect with Enterasys via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and Google+
About Enterasys Networks and Siemens Enterprise Communications
Siemens Enterprise Communications is a leading global provider of unified communications (UC) solutions and network infrastructure for enterprises of all sizes. Leveraging 160 years of experience, we deliver innovation and quality to the world's most successful companies, backed by a world-class services portfolio which includes international multi-vendor managed and outsourcing capabilities.
Our OpenScape communications solutions provide a seamless and efficient collaboration experience – on any device – which amplifies collective effort and dramatically improves business performance.
Together, our global team of UC experts and service professionals set the standards for a rich communications experience that empowers teams to deliver better results.
Siemens Enterprise Communications is a joint venture of The Gores Group and Siemens AG, and includes Enterasys Networks, a provider of network infrastructure and security solutions, creating a complementary and complete enterprise communications solutions portfolio.
For more information, please visit:
Siemens Enterprise Communications GmbH & Co. KG is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.
+1 603 952 5151
+1 617 624 3231
SOURCE Enterasys Networks
More by this Source
University of New Hampshire Pioneering Wi-Fi in Collegiate Arenas with Enterasys
Oct 22, 2013, 08:30 ET
Enterasys Drives Channel Engagement at 2013 North America Partner Conference
Oct 17, 2013, 08:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.