BEDFORD, Mass., Jan. 26, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- EnterpriseDB® (EDB™)the leading Postgres database company, today announced the immediate availability of the EDB Postgres Advanced Server® 9.5. EDB Postgres Advanced Server increases performance and scalability, powers more complex workloads, enhances security, and both expands compatibility with and facilitates migration from Oracle.
It is no surprise that the DBMS market continues to shift towards Postgres open-source-based solutions. In fact, EDB works with approximately 20% of the Fortune 500, who consistently emphasize the need for advanced features and functionality. Analysts confirm, as global business leaders continue to address the imperative of becoming a platform for innovation, they must have a cost-effective DBMS robust enough to handle their needs in real time, and to support their digital innovation strategies.
Gartner states, "By 2018, more than 70% of new in-house applications will be developed on an OSDBMS, and 50% of existing commercial RDBMS instances will have been converted or will be in process."*
According to Marc Linster, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Products and Services at EDB, "Organizations of all sizes and types are cutting database costs wherever possible by deploying capable, open-source-based alternatives to proprietary databases. The ability to control expensive proprietary vendor costs with open source has been proven with Linux for operating systems; Xen and KVM for virtualization; JBoss and Apache for middleware; and is now being applied to databases. We see large organizations successfully repurpose budgets to open-source-based solutions, as well as deploy next generation apps with EDB Postgres to strategically transform their businesses to meet the demands of the digital economy."
TWEET: #OpenSource can be used to replace proprietary #DBMS at a considerable cost savings = greater #innovation http://ow.ly/XfiW7
EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 Enhancements
Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 features a range of enhancements for increased performance, scalability, security and manageability to ensure success with Postgres for business critical workloads. These include:
- Password profiles define rules for password complexity, reuse, expiration and more, increasing EDB Postgres' support for security-critical applications, such as those complying with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS). Implemented in an Oracle-compatible syntax, EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 password profiles expand the universe of migration targets, and allow continued use of the feature in Postgres Advanced Server for security-critical applications. Password rules based on complexity, reuse, expiration, and account 'lock out' enhance EDB's support for PCI DSS compliance.
- Vertical scaling optimizations demonstrate that EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 shows significant performance improvements over v9.4. EDB conducted benchmark tests that showed EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 exhibits a 96% performance boost at 64 concurrent connections on a high-end server for read workloads. An increasing number of connections drove performance gain up to 133% on write workloads.
- New package support for UTL_RAW and DBMS_SESSION and expanded support for UTL_HTTP make Oracle migrations faster and allow developers continued use of Oracle skills in new Postgres Advanced Server applications. In all, EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 supports 22 predefined built-in packages and 208 functions to support migrations from Oracle.
Postgres Advanced Server 9.5 also includes all of the new features contained in the recently released open source PostgreSQL 9.5. These include UPSERT, which helps with inserting data and managing conflicts; Block Range Indexes (BRIN) that speed the searching of extremely large tables; and Grouping Sets, Rollup and Cube, which, collectively, expand Postgres' capabilities with high-performance analytic operations. Read more about the features here.
EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager™ 6.0 Enhancements
Also today, EDB announced its EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager 6.0, which is integrated into Postgres Advanced Server 9.5, and now features expanded integration with other infrastructure solutions, new alert functions, and an improved alert user interface. Other EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager 6.0 enhancements include:
- Nagios support – Managing Postgres deployments can now be integrated with a leading open source infrastructure management and monitoring solution.
- Failover management – EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager is now fully integrated with EDB Failover Manager to help ensure high availability.
- Streaming replication wizard – With the new release, Enterprise Manager provides easy-to-follow steps for launching and viewing streaming replication analysis from the dashboard.
- Audit log alerts and improved alert User Interface – DBAs can create alerts to audit log file activities, increase visibility into operations, and improve overall responsiveness. Overall alert user interface improvements also have made creating alerts simpler and given DBAs greater granularity.
To leverage the full value of EDB Postgres Advanced Server and EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager for enterprise deployments, these components are included as part of an EDB Postgres Enterprise subscription. This includes the EDB Postgres Advanced Server database, plus migration, integration and management tools for developers and DBAs, as well as 24x7 global support. EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager also is included with the EDB Postgres Standard subscription, thereby bringing its manageability and productivity benefits to PostgreSQL users. In addition, a broad range of training, professional services and certification solutions are available from EDB and EDB's partners.
To learn more about the new features and capabilities in EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5, please attend EDB's webinar, Expanding with EDB Postgres Advanced Server 9.5, on January 28, 2016, at 8 am or 1 pm Eastern Standard Time. Please visit here for more information and to register for either time slot.
*The State of Open Source RDBMSs, 2015, by Donald Feinberg and Merv Adrian, published April 21, 2015.
About EnterpriseDB (EDB)
EDB is the leading worldwide provider of PostgreSQL software and services that enable enterprises to reduce their reliance on costly traditional solutions and slash their database spend by 80% or more. With powerful performance and security enhancements for PostgreSQL, sophisticated management tools for global deployments and database compatibility for Oracle, EDB software supports mission-critical enterprise applications. More than 3,400 enterprises, governments and other organizations worldwide use EDB software, support, training and professional services to integrate PostgreSQL into their existing data infrastructures. EDB is based in Bedford, Massachusetts.
EnterpriseDB is a registered trademark of EnterpriseDB Corporation. EDB and EDB Postgres are trademarks of EnterpriseDB Corporation. All other names are trademarks of their respective owners.
Media Contact for EDB: