BEDFORD, Mass., April 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- EnterpriseDB® (EDB™), the leading enterprise Postgres database company, today announced the immediate availability of EDB Postgres™ Replication Server 6.0. The log-based solution is the first and only production-ready multi-master replication product to feature new technology developed for PostgreSQL that reduces latency during data replication and dramatically increases performance of transactional workloads that require replication.
"Data replication has become a strategic operation in today's complex and growing datacenters as information is replicated geographically and is being off-loaded from transactional systems into specialized applications and databases. This drives up the demand for faster solutions that can replicate data without slowing down core operations," said Marc Linster, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Products and Services, EDB. "EDB Postgres Replication Server 6.0 is the most advanced and powerful replication solution for Postgres and dramatically outperforms prior generation tools in the market. It uses the latest technology available to give organizations geographic replication, cross-platform replication, and the flexibility and speed their systems demand for digital innovation."
TWEET: .@EDBPostgres #Replication Server reduces latency during data rep + increases trans workloads perf requiring repl http://bit.ly/1SwqF5F
EDB Postgres Replication Server 6.0 integrates the logical decoding feature, introduced in PostgreSQL 9.4, that can be used to extract changes from the Write-Ahead Log (WAL) segments. This replaces the use of triggers, which create overhead on the publication databases. Because the WAL stream already exists, this log-based technique has no impact on the publishing server and reduces latency. In benchmark tests with EDB Postgres Replication Server 6.0 beta testers, EDB recorded latency rates of less than one second, a vast improvement compared to the past, even when the transaction rates were increased to approximately 2,000 transactions per second.
New Features and Capabilities
In addition to log-based replication, the new release of EDB Postgres Replication Server includes a series of new capabilities and feature enhancements. They are:
- Built-in High Availability for the replication control schema that eliminates a single point of failure and the need for a separate Control Database. The control schema is now integrated into publication databases, and the replication of operational information is automated to other publication databases.
- Improved performance in conflict detection through the use of Common Table Expression-based expression. New snapshot and synch replication support for range types, which represent sets of values, including numbers, dates, and timestamps.
- New wild card selector for bulk publication table selections. This provides the capability to choose a set of tables by using pattern matching similar to the technique used by the SQL statement LIKE clause when creating or adding tables to a publication.
- New multi-master replication-ready sequences, which improve upon the typical use of standard sequences for avoiding uniqueness conflicts. They can be used to avoid uniqueness (insert/insert) conflicts on tables that do not have an inherent, unique primary key.
- Improved interface for DDL (Data Definition Language) replication, which now supports acceptance of ALTER TABLE statements by direct entry into the Alter Publication Table dialog box by copying and pasting the statement text from another source, or by typing the statements directly into the dialog box. Previously, the statements had to be provided by means of a saved text file.
EDB Postgres Replication Server 6.0 is available for single-master replication and multi-master replication. It is part of the EDB Integration Suite, a set of solutions included with the EDB Postgres platform to support integration with other data sources within the datacenter. The EDB Postgres platform is available by subscription. To get started with the EDB Postgres platform, click here. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About EnterpriseDB (EDB)
EDB is the leading worldwide provider of PostgreSQL software and services that enable enterprises to reduce their reliance on costly traditional solutions and slash their database spend by up to 80% or more. With powerful performance and security enhancements for PostgreSQL, sophisticated management tools for global deployments and database compatibility with and the ability to migrate from Oracle, EDB software supports mission-critical enterprise applications. More than 3,400 enterprises, governments and other organizations worldwide use EDB software, support, training and professional services to integrate PostgreSQL into their existing data infrastructures. EDB is based in Bedford, Massachusetts.
EnterpriseDB is a registered trademark and EDB and EDB Postgres are trademarks of EnterpriseDB. All other names are trademarks of their respective owners.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/enterprisedb-leads-market-as-first-to-release-accelerated-log-based-replication-solution-using-new-postgres-technology-300255122.html